Chapter 68 - Back in Posada -

The snow began to melt and so now the engaged couple made their way back to travelling around the continent. The first stop they would make is in Posada to tell Evelyn's father and Jaskier, of course too, the news. 

Getting off of Roach and Amber they lead them into the stable at Evelyns house. The horses created so much noise that Phillip looked outside his window of the kitchen to wait for who would come out of the stable. He saw Evelyn talking smilingly to Geralt who just made her laugh; he predicted Jaskiers reaction to be furious, to not tell him anything and wait for him to see the ring.

Evelyn knocked on the door who then got opened by her father smiling warmly at the two of them. He got out of the way so they could come into the house. "It's good to have you back." he said and gave his daughter a hug, even tho he knew they wouldn't stay for long. He then stretched his hand out to Geralt who thought he had to shake it. He did that and was surprised when Phillip pulled him into a hug. Even if he didn't know what to do at first, he still returned it, which made Evelyn smile. 

Evelyn's pov

Nervously I tapped around my feet as we sat at the table. My father wanted, like always when we returned from Kaer Morhen, to hear all the stories we had from the last year. "Well..." I started and looked around the room to find a spot where I could look at. I put my hand, which was laying on my thigh under the table, on Geralt's hand which was on top of the table. "We-" I sighed. "Got engaged." Geralt finished for me since I was so slow in saying it. My father blinked a few times not realizing what we just said. 

I looked at him expectingly. "Father?" I asked him, not sure if he supported our decision, even if not, I wouldn't break up with Geralt. He looked at our hands and saw the ring on my finger. His lips slightly parted as he gazed wordlessly at the ring. His hands reached for my hand as he inspected my ring finger. "Oh, wow... Never expected, my little girl would marry so soon..." he sighed and smiled. I rolled my eyes playfully. "Father, I'm 37." I reminded him that I'm not the little girl I once was, I wasn't even a little girl when Geralt and I met. He nodded, chuckling a bit. "I suppose you're right. Your mother would be so proud of you." he said, looking out of the window. "I guess." I shrugged smiling slightly. 

Geralt stayed with my father while I was looking for Jaskier. I had no intentions of telling him about the engagement, he had to find out by himself. A breeze went by and I clenched my hands onto my coat to hold it against my cold skin. The snow was gone but not the cold, it would still be here in the next few weeks. I went to the inn I used to work in. Maybe he would be there. I opened the door and heard a lute playing. Then a voice that should definitely belong to my dear friend.  

"You think you're safe
Without a care
But here in Posada
You'd be wise to beware"

I looked around the corner and it indeed was my friend, the bard, Jaskier. He sat on a stool with his lute. After his last verse, he stood up continuing to play his lute with passion, like always.

"The pike with the spike
That lurks in your drawers
Or the flying drake 
That will fill you with horror"

He started to walk around the room, being close to his audience he kept singing. I leant against a wall where he couldn't see me just yet. I enjoyed his performance and listened to his beautiful singing voice. 

"Need old Nan the hag
To stir up a potion
So that your lady
May get an abortion."

He sang the last verse and leant against a wooden pillar and his left foot stood on another stool that stood empty all by himself. "Abort yourself!" A man shouted and started to throw bread at him. I frowned. What? Why are they so mean to him, they never were... "Oh, oi! Stop! Fuck off! I'm so glad that I could bring you all together like this. Unbelievable." he said shocked and went back to his corner where he turned so that he would face the wall and placed down his lute. I approached him and as soon as the people saw me and my two very sharp swords, they stopped insulting him and throwing things at him. "Jaskier." I called his name as I stood not far from him. He turned, rather ungraceful, as he got scared, and smiled as he saw me. "Evelyn! You're already back." he cheered and pulled me into a tight hug. "I missed you." he mumbled as I returned the hug. Clearly, things like this, getting booed and stuff thrown at him, happened often as I could tell by his relived reaction when he saw me.

"Are you alright?" I asked my friend concerned. "Me- uh, yes, yes. Why you're asking? I should ask you that, I mean-" he gestured towards me as we broke the hug. "You have taken a long journey to get here. Shall we sit down?" he offered and pointed to an empty table. I nodded happily to spend some time with Jaskier again. "Two ales." I ordered before we even sat down and the waitress nodded. We sat down and I stretched my back, carrying two heavy swords is not that easy, well, it was but sometimes it's not very comfortable, so I took them off and leaned them against the wall and the bench from the table. 

"So how have you been?" I asked and folded my hands on top of the table, my ring clearly to be seen if one would look at it. "Good, good. My muse left me not a month ago or so..." he sighed and looked at his lute. "That's why I'm so bad right now." I shook my head. "No, Jaskier, I watched your whole show and I enjoyed it very much. I missed your singing." I told him what made him smile. "Thanks, Eve." as he said that our mugs of ale arrived. I grabbed onto it and the metal of the ring made a sound as I took the mug. This got Jaskiers attention and he looked confused at the mug. His gaze landed on the ring and his eyes widened. "So he finally managed to fucking propose?!"