Chapter 27 - First day as a princess -

Someone shook me gently to wake me up but I didn't want to. "Five more minutes." I groaned and turned on my side. "Princess Evelyn, you must get up now." A woman spoke but I didn't recognize the voice so I opened my eyes a bit to see who it was and yawned. "Your mother and father are awaiting you in the dining hall, your highness." I groaned and threw the blanket away and sat up and rubbed my eyes. The woman who looked like a maid helped me up and started to help me get out of my nightwear. "I can do it on my own, thanks." I muttered as I was still sleepy.

I went behind the room divider that stood in my room my parents gave me and told me it was my room as a baby. Geralt's and Jaskiers rooms were down the hall but not too far away. I suppose their rooms were just as huge as mine was. In this room was a very, very large and more than a comfortable bed with poles and white curtains attached to it. On each side was a nightstand. A large and fluffy light yellow carpet was underneath it. Then there was a lot of space which ended with two big closets and a dressing table next to it.

Next to the closets was the room divider, I was currently standing behind. I then saw a hanger attached to the divider and on it was a dress that didn't look comfortable at all. "Do I have to wear this?" I asked and the maid nodded as I saw while I looked over the divider. I sighed and slipped on the dress. It was a white dress that had a dark blue part around it that made it look like it was a cloak hanging around it. In the middle, it was tied together to make the waist look smaller. The sleeves of the dress didn't look like for daily use: they went down to the wrists and then went down to almost my ankles. How is anyone supposed to move properly in that thing?

With my dress now on she told me to follow her to the dressing table

With my dress now on she told me to follow her to the dressing table. There she would brush my hair and leave it like it was. To finish everything she put on light make-up on my face and a small crown on my head. "Now we'll need shoes." She stated and opened one of the closets and revealed at least forty pairs of shoes. She got out a pair of simple white pumps and told me to try them on. To my surprise, they were really comfortable other than the dress. I mumbled thanks and she made me follow her to the dining hall. Differently than yesterday, the halls were quiet only the sound of my heels hitting the stone floor was to be heard.

She opened the door that lead to the dining room in which was a long table with around 15 chairs around it. At this table sat my parents and my brothers. Where are Jaskier and Geralt? I somewhat felt awkward and just sat down where the butler had pulled the chair for me to sit on it. I cleared my throat to somehow cover the uncomfortable silence. The door opened again and revealed more butlers and maids coming in with the food they had prepared for breakfast. After them, Geralt and Jaskier came in and they sat across from me. I pressed my lips into a thin line and avoided looking at them.

The first few minutes it was silent but Villen broke it. "Evelyn, are you going to fight monsters today?" He asked smiling at me what I returned. "I'd love to, Geralt what do you think?" I asked the Witcher and looked at him but before he could answer my mother interrupted. "I apologize to ruin it for you but as it seems you won't be having time today since you got plenty of classes to attend." I raised my brows and my mouth went slightly agape. She saw my expression and tried to clear the situation. "Dancing class, manners and many other duties a princess must take care of." I sighed and let myself fall back in the chair and stood silent for the rest of the meal. I don't want to be a princess anymore...

I finished my food first and excused myself. I sneaked as far as I could from the dining hall so my mother wouldn't find me. I don't even know her for that long and she already wants to control me. I wonder if my brothers have the same problem but even if they did I guess they're used to it since they've been living here all their lives. I went down a hall and I didn't even know anymore where I was. Might as well find out what's at the end. There was a single door but it was locked. I tried to open it again but it was no use.

I turned on my heel and went back the same way I came from but then I heard a whisper and turned around. There was nothing. I shrugged but then I heard the whisper again, this time it called my name. What? How does this something know my name or am I getting insane by all this princess business? I began to start walking faster and just as I left the hall and went into another, the whisper stopped. I shook my head and held my forehead. Maybe I should tell Geralt about it just in case it's just some creature lurking in the room waiting for another victim.

I ran as fast as I could to tell Geralt but I got stopped by one of the guards I ran into. "There you are, princess. The Queen is looking for you." Agh, fuck.