Chapter 16 - A Witcher's story -

"You promised." I pouted as we sat on a log while warming ourselves at the fire we made near the woods. It was already dusk and the sun was setting. We haven't found Jaskier in the village so we decided to go back to the camp we had earlier where we would be training. Hopefully, he'll find us.

Geralt sighed and rolled his eyes. "Fine. Witcher's are created by magic." I nodded, that's the part I already knew. "Young boys are collected by several Witcher schools like your father was taken in by the griffin school." I interrupted him. "And you got taken in by the wolven school, right?" I asked and he nodded. "The young boys get a potion with certain herbs and other stuff in it. A very painful transformation then begins which only two out of ten boys survive. This trial causes mutations from which Witcher's get their 'enhanced senses' as you called it." He explained and suddenly I felt sorry for Geralt and my father. 

"After that, you learn how to kill monsters?" I asked but he shook his head. "You learn all that beforehand and if you know how to kill monsters in any way you'll get a special diet so you have good chances to survive the trial of herbs." I nodded. "Now I know for sure that it's not a choice to become a Witcher by what I just heard." I chuckled. "After that, these boys just roam around the continent and kill monsters?" I asked and looked over at Geralt who stared directly into the fire. "No, there's an exam and if you manage to get this done you'll become a Witcher. The final step is very similar to one of the sorceresses: At the end of the exam Witchers become sterile." he explained and I looked at him in shock.

"What? Oh, so that's what the farmer today joked about. I already wondered what he meant by that." then we went silent for a minute but then I had another question. I bet Geralt is getting pretty annoyed by me asking all of that stuff. "How long has it been since you went through all this because you can remember clearly as it seems to me." he thought of it for a second. "Around 75 years ago." I choked on my own saliva and looked at him as if he'd grown two heads. "WHAT?!" I yelled in surprise at what Geralt looked rather amused at me and had a small grin plastered on his face. My mouth was agape and I looked in disbelieve at the man who sat next to me that seemed to be around sixty years older than me.

"Ah, I knew that was your voice, thank the gods." Geralt and I both turned our heads to where the voice came from. It was Jaskier coming through the bushes with an exhausted expression. I stood up from the log and walked towards Jaskier. "I was worried, where were you?" I asked as I started lecturing him as if I was his mother. "Here and there. You know, time flies by when you're having fun." he couldn't hide his smirk so I hit him slightly on his shoulder. "Ew, Jaskier, that's gross." I made a disgusted face now knowing that he went hoeing around as Geralt and I worked hard for our money. 

Both of us went back to Geralt and the fire. I sat next to Geralt as I have done before Jaskier was here and Jaskier sat across from us and warmed himself at the fire as it began to get cold. "Can you believe him?" I asked Geralt and pointed at Jaskier. "While we were working he got himself some- some... agh, Jaskier haven't you had enough trouble because of this?" I continued to lecture him. Geralt and Jaskier just smirked at my actions and I stomped my feet on the ground and crossed my arms in front of my chest. "And you say, you can't handle children." Jaskier says and makes a gesture along with it. "Excuse me?" he laughed at this. "See." I pouted and stopped talking.

"He's right."  Geralt simply said and I furrowed my brows and looked with a 'The-fuck-you're-talking-about' at him. He ignored me. "Is that so? Did she lecture you as well, Geralt?" Jaskier asked and Geralt nodded at that. "Not only that but she did everything to find a new home for three orphans today." he explained our job with a grin and looked at me in the corner of his eyes. I got up and stomped away from the two men. "Where are you going?" Jaskier asked worriedly. "Away." I stated and went for a walk to get my head clear.

He's an adult and so is Geralt which means that I had it a lot more easy to talk to them than with a child. The orphans, what should I have done differently, let them there on their own, stealing and doomed to be thieves? That wouldn't have been any better for anyone. It was only logical to do that. Could also be that both of them didn't mean that as an insult or making fun of me but as a compliment. I know Jaskier and he has a talent for giving compliments but let them seem like insults. I sighed and went back to the camp which was only about 50 meters away from me.

"Hey guys, I'm sorry for my outburst." I scratched my neck and looked at them. They were sitting in silence in front of the fire. "No-no-no! I am sorry, Eve. I know that this fortune-telling hag- well that the things she told you are- are confusing you, so it's alright." my friend smiled at me which I returned in a smaller way. "Now come sit down." I sighed at that but did as I was told and sat down by the fire. 

An hour later we got the blankets out to sleep on. Every one of us had his own corner where we would sleep. As always it was difficult for me to fall asleep and I began to look at the stars what would calm me down and let me drift off to sleep eventually.