Chapter 8 - Riding to the tavern -

Jacob said it's nothing too fancy so I didn't wear anything too fancy: Simple but nice black trousers matched with a dark blue blouse. In addition a silver necklace my mother once wore. It had a small and round pendant on it. I couldn't identify what it was. Looked like a bird or something like that. She got it from father, and like so I got it.

I went downstairs to ask my father if my outfit was alright but he wasn't in the living room. Probably at his store selling or making some swords. I went to check there. "Father what do you-" I interrupted myself as I saw my father chatting with Jacob. "Oh, hey." I greeted him. He smiled and greeted me as well. "Oh my, honey. Like that, all eyes will be on you." My father said grinning proudly.  "Indeed." Jacob agreed. "Thanks." I simply said. "Shall we?" Jacob asked and nodded towards his horse. I nodded and got my horse, Amber was her name. I said goodbye to my father and told him that I'll be back tonight.

I got up on my horse and so did Jacob. I waved at my father and so we started riding towards the tavern. I didn't know where it was so I had to follow Jacob. "How long have you've been living here?" I asked him. "Not that long. I came here a few months ago as my father died." He explained and I felt bad for him. "Oh, I didn't mean to ask. Sorry." I asked but he chuckled. "No, it's alright. After he died I said that I would take care of my mother and so I left my village and came to this one." he continued. "And you?" he asked back. "Almost all my life. I was two years old when my parents took me in." he looked confused. "He's not my real father but he treated me all my life like I was his own child and so did my mother. He is a good father and she was a good mother." his expression softened.

He didn't say anything after that and we rode silently. It was a bit awkward but then I decided to change the subject. "You know." he turned his head towards me. "Since last evening I was wondering if you know by any chance the bard in our village?" I questioned but he shook his head no. "Oh, okay. Then never mind." I said and sighed. "No. Tell me about him." He said enthusiastically what made me smile. "He recently wrote a ballad about a Witcher he came across. Geralt of Rivia." I said but it seemed that he didn't know him either.

"It is a pretty good song and I hope you get to hear it too soon." I smiled at him and he did so too. "What's the name of this bard?" he questioned. "Jaskier." I simply stated and he leaned his head slightly. "You know him. Like good? Are you two friends?" He smiled at me. "Yes. He's my best friend, actually, and was my only friend before I meet you but he's out - traveling with said Geralt of Rivia to collect material for his next ballad."

We talked a lot more on the ride. He told me that the tavern is about half an hour from now on and this half of an hour passed rather quickly as we had a lot talking about this and that; you know, getting to know each other. He also asked lots of questions about Jaskier. I think he is kinda jealous that there is another man that I really like but I assured him that he's only a friend.

We stood in front of the tavern. It was a tall building. Around it was a garden with some benches and tables. We took our horses to a water trough where we put their reins to wait for us. Jacob opened the door for me to step inside; like a real gentleman. I thanked him and went in. "You go get us a table and I'll be getting the drinks for the start, alright?" he asked and I nodded. I looked around to find a table for Jacob and me and walked through the room. It was pretty full in here. You could tell that this was a popular tavern. I went to the back to see if there is a table.

Not only was there a table but I recognized a familiar lute. I went to see if it was really him. I smiled surprised as I saw him. "Jaskier?" I asked and said man was sitting next to the white-haired Witcher. He looked up surprised. "Eve?" He said my name and got up towards me. I gave him a long hug. "What are you doing here?" He was, just like me, happy to see the other again. "Oh, I am here.. on a- a date." I whispered the last part. He smirked. "My, my. I am gone for a few weeks and you- you just get yourself a man. If I knew it would be that easy I would have left sooner." He chuckled. "How's the monster hunt?" I asked and looked towards the Witcher with a sweet smile. He just grunted and took a sip of his ale.

"Huh?" I turned around and saw Jacob with two cups in his hands. "Oh, Jacob. Sorry. This is Jaskier." I introduced my friend and put my hand on Jaskiers shoulder, which he then took. He looked at me and then let go of my hand. He seemed like a proud father at what I rolled my eyes slightly. Jacob handed me my cup. "Ah, so you're the famous bard. Evelyn told me a lot about you." Jaskier looked at me with a touched face. "Oh re- really? You know I am not that famous." he shrugged it off. "No! I love your songs, Jaskier, and so does the majority of the village!" I said. "Why don't you sing something for us. I really missed your singing."

"Come sit with us and I'll be singing for you, how about it?" he asked and in the back, I could see Geralt rolling his eyes and emptied his cup in one sip. "Why not, huh, Jacob?" I asked. I know this is our first date and I know this must be very different than what he expected but I missed my friend too much to not accept his offer.

"Alright then. I'll be performing my greatest hit so far." he tuned his lute and began with 'Toss a coin to your Witcher'.