Chapter 38 - Kaer Morhen -

We rode through a large entrance and behind it was a yard with stairs to the fortress and a stable right next to the entrance. I got off of Amber and still looked at my surroundings. I took Ambers reins and brought her towards the stable. I also took the reins from Roach to get her with me at what Geralt thanked me. I took off both of their saddles and lead them towards the hay and water so they could rest a little.

"Geralt!" I heard a male voice and looked out of the stable and saw an old man with grey hair that had almost the same length as Geralt's. He wore a beard and had the same medallion as Geralt. "Vesemir, good to see you." Geralt greeted the man back. 

I stepped out of the stable and Vesemir noticed me as soon as was in his sight. He looked at me confused and then nodded to himself. "I knew I smelled someone else than just you." He chuckled and looked at the other Witcher. I stepped carefully at Geralt's side and then gave a small smile to the other Witcher. "Hello, I'm sorry to just... just burst in here. I'm Evelyn." I introduced myself to the other one and stretched out my hand for him to shake it. "I'm Vesemir." He slightly smiled at me. "Shall we get inside? Lambert's already here, too. Eskel should be here in the next few days." He stated and then we followed him inside the grand building. 

I couldn't help but look around in awe. It was impressive and that's the place where Geralt lived. Or at least stayed at for the winter. It was silent on the way there; I guess all Witchers are men of few words. We went through a long hall that had many windows and pictures on the walls. Behind the last door was another big room that seemed to be more or less the dining hall. At one of the tables sat a man with a large scar over his right eye and short dark hair, he also wore a leather jacket. As soon as he saw the two Witchers, who stood in front of me, he smiled and got up. "Geralt, you're back!" he exclaimed. 

Like a little fawn, I stepped next to them but I wasn't intimidated more impressed by everything. He frowned. "You brought someone with you? Are you a Witcher, too?" He asked surprised. "But how?" he mumbled to himself. "How about we talk about that with some drinks?" Vesemir suggested and we agreed on that.

"So?" Lambert looked at me; I sat across from him. "Who are you?" he continued. "I'm Evelyn and you are Lambert, I suppose." I more like asked him back and he nodded. He then asked if I'm a Witcher but I shook my head. "No, Geralt just taught me all about it; how to fight monsters and what's effective in taking jobs." I explained and Vesemir thought for a moment. "What's the difference between ghouls and alghouls?" he asked and Geralt rolled his eyes and took a sip. "Alghouls have fed on human flesh so long that they begin to hunt the living. Also, they can grow spines on their back which can be removed with Axii." I explained and Vesemir nodded approving.

"You don't want to become a Witcher, do you?" Lambert asked surprised but I nodded. "I try to but without the trial of the grasses, as I heard Kaer Morhen lost the ability to create new Witchers." all three men nodded at that. "We'll be checking on your combat skills and your knowledge. It may take a while but with enough effort, you could pull through the exam of the medallion." I raised my brows at Vesemir in excitement.

We didn't hesitate much and Vesemir started to check on my skills. He fought against me and, of course, it was hard for me since he was an experienced Witcher who fought longer against monsters than I live but so does Geralt. He didn't use any signs like Aard or Quen because that would be only allowed in training if the opponent had the ability to do the same but since I don't have the needed mutations and magic for it I couldn't.

3rd person pov

Vesemir didn't go easy on his new student but he realized that Geralt did indeed a good job in training her. She even adapted the little mistakes he always does in fighting but she truly is a quick learner and is willing to put everything into the fight and her training.

"Tell me, Geralt-" Lambert started and went towards Geralt who was currently standing at the balcony and watched how Evelyn and Vesemir crossed blades. "How come you bring such a young girl and a very pretty one to that to Kaer Morhen?" He asked and leaned his elbows on top of the wooden fence. "She's my travel companion and wanted to become a Witcher." He told his friend who couldn't believe that someone like her would want to become a Witcher. 

"She likes it more to fight monsters than to be a princess." Lambert snorted at that. "You call her princess?" he asked and punched him on his shoulder. "No, she is a literal princess. The princess of Lyria and Rivia." Lambert was silent, he didn't expect that. "A princess becoming a Witcher; a book I would probably read." this time Geralt snorted. "You and reading? Only if Ekimmara stop drinking blood." 

They stood there in silence and watched the young woman who was attractive in both of their eyes but for Geralt more than for Lambert. Geralt knew who she was and that her beautiful personality had a stunning shell was just a nice side effect. For Lambert, he was just amazed by her and her decisions. He was curious about her but he could feel that Geralt had laid eyes on her so he wouldn't dare to either speak to Geralt about it or to make a move on her.