Chapter 25 - Betting debts -

My parents.. that sound so weird.. asked me what I've been doing all the years and so I told them, rather shy than the usual confident Evelyn I showed everyone but today I didn't even know who I am. I told them that a couple took me in and raised me as their own child. I also told them about my mother in Posada, well not mother but they knew what I meant. My father still lives and taught me how to fight with swords since I always wanted to hold one since I was little, so I told them. I also told them how I was currently travelling the continent with Geralt and Jaskier. I wanted to be honest so that there was maybe a chance of getting away from being a princess.

"Sounds like you've been taken good care of." my father smiled at me and I shyly returned it. "But now you'll stay, right?" My mother asked me with a hopeful look on her face. "I don't know how to be a princess yet a Queen. I simply can't." I told her the same I told Geralt. My mother thought for a moment but then got an idea. "How about you stay for a week and you'll try out the living style of a princess, of course, your guests may stay." She smiled over at Geralt and then my parents waited for an answer. I looked at Geralt and looked for some expression or reaction that could give me any advice. Geralt nodded slightly and then I turned to my mother. "Okay..." I whispered and she smiled happily and pulled me into a hug.

My mother talked to my father a lot and kept asking a few questions here and there and I felt more than uncomfortable. Geralt nudges me and I leaned to him to hear what he wanted to say since it got louder in the hall and I don't want him to shout. "We still got that bet." he reminded me and threw my head back. "Alright.. since I'm a princess, everyone would love to dance with me, right? But wait! There's one problem... I don't know how to dance." I muttered the last part. Geralt grinned slightly and then got up from his chair. He got one hand behind his back and the other he reached for me. "Then would you do me the favour of dancing with me, your highness?" he asked and his grin grew into a smirk. "Uhm-- sure." I said and my parents looked at me proudly because I just made my first move as a princess - not declining a dance offer.

"Geralt," I hissed "Did you not hear what I just said?" he looked at me and we both went to the centre of the room where many couples were who already danced. "I did, but you lost the bet and I lost the bet, too, so-" I rolled my eyes at him. "At first I wanted but now I won't apologize anymore if I step on your feet." I warned him and pointed my index finger at him what he just ignored with a small smile what made me blush. He's so handsome...

He put one hand on my lower back and directed my hand, with a nod, to his shoulder. I put it there and my other hand got quickly grabbed by the taller man and he started to lead me through the room and I had no clue how or where to step and not even a minute into the dance I stepped on his feet. "No, I won't." I stopped myself from apologizing and turned my head away from him and closed my eyes at that. I opened them again only to still see this stupid grin on his face and thanks to that my blush did everything but disappear.

His hand was so much bigger than mine, I realized just now but how was I supposed to realize sooner? It's the first time that I'm holding his hand. Everything went so quickly. First, we travelled together and within a blink of an eye we shared a room and even a bed and now we're dancing at my parent's banquet. Things can change so fast, faster than I liked it but I must say even though I can't dance I really enjoy dancing with Geralt. 

After a few times, I caught up on the dance and watched his steps and adjusted mine to his and after I got it I didn't step on Geralt's feet anymore. "See, it's not that hard." Yes, but less does he know that it is hard to not lose yourself in his eyes. It's been the third time I almost lost myself in those golden orbs, hopefully, he didn't notice. 

"I guess I have another first time of yours." he smirked and I looked at him confused. "I was the first man you slept in the same bed with and the first man you're ever dancing with." I looked down so he would not see me turning as red as my lipstick. "Shut up." I muttered and avoided his gaze. The music stopped and everyone clapped their hands for the dancers who had all stopped just like Geralt and me but he still held my hand I didn't think of taking it away either.

We went back to our seats our hands still intertwined without him or me realizing it. As we sat down our hands broke apart and only then I noticed. "Thanks for the dance, Geralt." I smiled at him which he returned. "My pleasure, your highness." he bowed sarcastically and then took my hand to place a gentle kiss on top of it. I blushed but rolled my eyes. "You're spending way too much time with Jaskier." I chuckled at him and he nodded. "Yeah, I think so too." he agreed and sat then back normally as he would always do.

"Evelyn?" My mother asked me and I looked at her not as shy as I was before because it really relaxed me to dance with Geralt. I took a sip from my cup of ale that I got from earlier. "Are you already married?" she asked and I choked on my beer.