Chapter 17

(Two Days Later: Orchard Street, Lower East Manhattan, 2:00 PM)

The buildings had been standing and watching the sea of people coming and going around on the streets, despite of the Green Poison scare. Some of them were wearing face shields and facemasks, getting more cautious of catching the disease.

For Carol Danvers-Montmartre, she was busily buying around the place for any important things for the household. She watched at the TV news which the epidemic had increased with the number of cases. Looking at her large abdomen, she became more worried of her unborn son's condition and herself.

" This has gone wilder than before, " she anxiously thought and paid her purchases to the cashier. " I used to have a controversy case before, now epidemic. What's next? "

Suddenly, she was being noticed and stormed by a group of shoppers when the pregnant half-Kree woman got surprised at them. She never realized expecting and receiving another harsh criticisms from them. This time, she was sure in leaving them instantly. Carol never wanted to engage in any arguments and battles for her delicate condition.

" Captain Marvel, it's nice to see you again, eh?! G'day! " an Australian woman in her seventies approached and politely greeted her. " You couldn't be bothered to ask you some questions and have a chat. "

" Thanks for that, ma'am," she slightly smiled. " I really need to go and meet my husband here. " 

" What's wrong, love? You have been up the duff and got sickies? "

Carol became more baffled to comprehend at the elderly woman's words. She was unfamiliar to such Aussie slang and wryly smiling at her. She never wanted to disclose everything that happened in six months ago. The old woman waited for the former Avenger's response. Carol rubbed her stomach and slowly understood what the fellow customer meant.

" Yeah, it's six months now, " the blonde half-Kree smiled and chuckled. " I left the Avengers to embrace motherhood. You know, I'm happier with my new life. "

" Right-O, love, " the old lady nodded and smiled back as she accompanied to leave the store with former heroine. " You could have been done greater things before, you know? "

" I did, but I made such terrible things and unwise decisions before. If there's such thing as time travel, I could have corrected my past-self. Perhaps, I'm still a hero who the people are looking after to. "

" There are a lot of things that can hurt our lives, love, " the elderly Aussie lady explained and kept walking as she was helping to carry the pregnant half-Kree's belongings. " We have to learn from our mistakes and live one day at a time. Your future will be in better hands if you start sorting your life for the right cause. "

" Like, I'm gonna have a child soon and teach him everything. I hope he could never have the same mistakes which I did. "

" Fair enough. You surely have a long time to invest for that tin lid. Good on ya, then! " she smiled, nodded in agreement, and changed the topic. " It's pretty odd, an incurable disease has gone out these days in New York. "

" So, you're worried too? "

" Defo, I have just visited my son and grandchildren here, but I can't return to Melbourne, next week. Flights have been cancelled. I have no choice, but to stay here for such time. I hope we could stay safe for this. "

" Ma'am, if I could only fly you home to Australia. That could help, but I can't stress myself, " Carol replied and looked at the bench beside the tree. " Besides, I'm gonna wait for my hubby at the bench. He's at work, I'm going to meet him here. "

" I understood what you mean, love, " the old woman replied when they both sat down. " Keeping yourself in good health along with your baby is the best way to do. You can't risk yourselves. "

" Yeah...."

The bus arrived in front of them as the old Australian woman stood up and turned to Carol, " I guess I have a ride going back to the hotel. It's nice to meet and talk to you. "

" Likewise, ma'am. Thanks a lot! " Carol smiled and waved at the old lady who took a ride into the bus. She was waving back at the former Avenger from the window.

The half-Kree woman looked at the time using her phone and returned it to the bag. She sighed and sat on the bench, waiting for her husband to be on this street. Watching more people coming and going, she also witnessed some ambulance rushing towards the streets. Carol had understood that another outbreak case made another death toll.

" This is the worst thing I have ever seen, " she anxiously thought and took our her phone, texting some message to her husband. " I hope Methie's classes are done at the moment. "

Holding her phone and typing her message, Carol noticed a familiar man  walking around the streets. It was a tall bearded man with dark hair. He was wearing a bluish-black hoodie jacket. The man had a dirty green backpack. She recognized and intently stared at him.

" Keener? " she called his surname. " Aaron Keener? " 

" It's good to see you again, Danvers. Long time, no see, " Keener sternly replied.

" I go by my married name Montmartre, now. You were part of SHIELD and Ultimates, before? "

" Ex-SHIELD Agent, " he stressedly corrected his words to her. " I have heard everything what happened to you in five years, especially what you have done in St. Petersburg. "

" Keener, the past is passed, " Carol calmly said. " I learned my lesson. I'm still blaming myself for not understanding everything. I used an Inhuman boy about saving our future. It turned out to be a disaster. I made a rift within the Avengers. I tried to redeem myself. Then recently, I broke the law."

" I'm glad you have realized that, Montmartre, " the former SHIELD Agent indignantly spoke. " You have done horrible things. This is a new beginning of the future you have been holding to before. "

" You mean, Ulysses had predicted this before? "

" Yeah, this is what he had seen before he died, including that trouble of yours! It's because of your damn exploits, I left SHIELD. I never wanted to work with you after all what you did to Stark. "

Carol remained silent as her eyes were watering. Tears were running down onto her face. Keener was not sensitive enough that he would offend a pregnant woman. The former SHIELD Agent had released his gripes off his chest. He was badly affected for what happened five years ago. Carol illuminated her hands and thought of taking him down, however she felt a painful kick inside her abdomen. She ceased her sudden photon spark and moaned in pain.

" What's the matter, Montmartre? " he sternly spoke. " You can't fight me, because you're pregnant? "

" Just get out of Keener, you better leave..." she replied and held her abdomen.

" Well then, I hope you have a great time talking to me. I'll see you soon."

Aaron Keener left the pregnant woman as Carol kept holding her stomach. She was moaning in pain and thinking of talking to her husband soon about this chance encounter. Somehow, the memories from five years ago were still haunting her until now.