Chapter 12

(INTERPOL HQ, LYON, FRANCE: 10:00 PM)

Carol Montmartre was lying down on her bed inside the prison cell when the wardens turned-off the lights. The stillness visited the most dangerous place. The nightshift guards were still roaming around the hallway as they kept an eye of every female prisoner in the cell. In that moment, she was being monitored by another female warden on duty while glaring at her.

" Now, I'm being monitored one of these days, " she sensed and anxiously thought. " One damn thing from me, then I'm all screwed up. This is really all my fault in the first place. What will I tell to my husband: the good or the bad news?! Then, if my case weren't resolved, I guess I have to give birth to my son after nine months in prison. When he grows up, he would disown me from having a mother who is the most dangerous criminal in the planet. My reputation is tarnished after all! "

She closed her eyes in meeting her slumber and began to snore. Her mind fell into darkness as she floated in still blackness. Suddenly a long table sprang up beneath her with two seats one on each end followed by trees of amazing beauty and lush grass. Tasty desserts materialized on the table along with tea. Carol sat down on one end of the fancy table perplexed as a man with no face materialized from a distant opposite end. The half-Kree woman was a very curious as she had no idea of what was going on.

Then, she saw the images on the table, intently looked and picked them up. Carol remembered those days when she and Tony argued about Ulysses, the future, and further doomsday which it happened before. Finally, more images after the great Civil War appeared which she had already known. She got frightened and shockingly dropped the pictures which she refused to see them again.

" This is not right! " Carol thought and felt sweating on her. " Those memories are reoccurring again! I don't want to see these anymore! I don't want to see these anymore! Please make these stop! "

The man's figure changed as the trees began to wither slightly his form changing into an elderly woman. The shape-shifter cladded in a Kree Imperial Navy green battle suit and silver chest armor along with the arm bands. She had a white headdress with green and silver trimmings on it. Then, she approached the Kree-hybrid woman and looked concerned. The shape-shifter was recognizable and took the form of Captain Mari-Ell or Marie Danvers.

" Are you okay? " she curiously asked.

" Mom? " Carol widened her eyes and saw the image of the Kree Navy Captain. She remembered her mother was slain by a Kree assassin some years ago in Maine. " Is that really you? "

" Yes and no... this realm transcends time, " Mari-Ell comfortingly smiled as the trees recovered and bloomed.

Carol couldn't comprehend in what she was seeing. She turned her head to and fro which she became more confused for what the shape-shifter had said. The images from the past until now made her more apprehensive, even seeing the one who took the form of her deceased mother.

" Is there something wrong, my dear? You look more apprehensive. Can you tell me what's going on? "

" W-wait...you died some years ago. W-why are you here?! I don't understand what on Hala is going on?! I'm the one who is supposed to ask that, " she exclaimed and pointed at the table with the images. " Those pictures! Look, I... don't want to see them...anymore! These made me into a mad monster! Mom, you knew my terrible mistake! I am still a wretched woman until now! "