Chapter 22

Methu-Selah brought two cups of tea and some loaves of bread to the living room when his wife began to crave for breakfast. Carol received her share and started to eat. She was pleased to see her husband when he sat beside her.

" It's been two months I have never been home, " she answered. " Did I miss something here? "

" Well, Sanjay has been bugging me where have you been? Secondly, Kamala has been sending messages on your phone. You haven't answered those. Thirdly, your brother has been calling over the phone and asking me where were you these days. Carol, I know you have been in your own mission, but some people are worried about you. "

" What did you tell them? " she asked.

" I made excuses that you had been away for a vacation, " he slightly sighed and replied. " I did that in order to protect and spare you from scrutiny. "

Carol paused in chewing her food and heard her husband's words. She thought of those days when she was with the Rikers. She had done the worst things like any criminal or terrorist would do. She regretted them, until she and her unborn child had almost lost their lives back in that encounter with Aaron Keener since last night. The half-Kree woman was no longer safe since the police would be after her. Methu-Selah noticed her long silence and tightly held her left hand. He knew how hard she had experienced from there.

" I'm sorry..." she broke her silence and finished chewing her food. " I could have listened to you in the first place. I have caused a lot of trouble just like before. This is all my fault. "

" Carol, I understood what you did. I have forgiven you. I was worried about what happened to you back then. "

" You're worried about me? "

" Yes. "

" I'm so sorry, I made you worry about me. "

" You don't need to apologise, Carol. The most important thing is you're with me. We can live together as a normal family and start a new life despite of this problematic scenario. "

" Right, " she nodded and asked. " How about you? What happened to your job at the University? "

" I just resigned, " he instantly answered.

" Wait? What?! Why?! "

" So many reasons, my dear, " Methu-Selah seriously answered and held his cup of tea. " First, I am afraid of getting infected of the recent Green Poison Virus. Secondly, I have been receiving some harsh criticisms, rumors, and malicious butt of jokes from my class and the entire of faculty. Lastly, I want to spend time taking care of you and our son. "

Carol remained silent and blushed at her spouse's words. She had understood how loving and understanding he was. She slowly  drank her tea and intently looked at him.

" Carol? " he called her attention.

" Oh...nothing, Methie! " she chuckled. " It's just I have been out of commission in the Montmartre household for a while. I guess I have to catch up those two months I have missed. "

" And? "

" After I gave birth, I'm going to be a full-time mom and housewife, " she replied and gently poked her husband's shoulders. " You need to find a job very soon. "

" Right, " he chuckled and gently kissed his wife's cheeks.

" But I have a confession to make. "

" Go ahead, tell me. "

" All right. "

(FEW WEEKS AGO: CENTRAL PARK)

It was a humid and cloudy afternoon when the sun slightly peeked at the grayish-white cumulus clouds. The green leaves of each trees waved and danced around the wind. This peaceful park turned out to be a danger zone to some of the authorities against the outlaws. There were loud gunshots and sirens all over the place. The Rikers began shooting each of the policemen and ended them meeting their demise. Tony Stark and some of his Avengers team had roamed around the place when they noticed the bleakness of the place.