Chapter 14

(ONE WEEK LATER: NEW YORK CITY SUPREME COURT, 8:30 AM)

Returning to her homeland, Carol Danvers-Montmarte arrived in handcuffs along with people from the INTERPOL, her husband, and her lawyer, while being flocked by a sea of news reporters. She felt uneasy which she had realized of the most controversial act outside of the country. From there, she turned to the mayor of St. Petersburg and a businessman who sued her from a devastating terrorism case. Carol bowed her head in shame when a lot of people murmured and ridiculed her. Her spouse looked at her with concern and sensed such downtrodden aura of the former half-Kree Avenger.

Entering the courtroom, Carol and her companions found a place while waiting for the jury and the judge would prepare themselves to begin the trial. It took some time to wait for the judge when everyone paid attention.

" All rise! " the middle-aged Caucasian plaintiff called everyone's attention when the female African-American judge arrived from the room and the jury had stood up. " New York Supreme Court with an INTERPOL RED NOTICE case is now in session. Judge Dorothy Ozpin presiding. Please be seated. "

" Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. Calling the case of the People of St. Petersburg versus Mrs. Carol Susan Jane Montmartre. Are both sides ready? " the judge asked.

" Ready for the People, Your Honor, " the other lawyer responded.

" Ready for the defense, Your Honor, " Jennifer Walters added.

The other lawyer with an Arabic descent was giving a snarky smile to the green-skinned defendant which he crossed his arms and turned to the blonde half-Kree woman. He was slightly muscular as his grey business suit had perfectly fit him. His hair was slicked back as his nails were neatly groomed. Lasheem Nilgram had a goatee and gold front tooth which everyone in the jury had noticed him. On the other side of the court, some members of the Avengers had attended the trial and witnessed the beginning. The other parties were Russian witnesses and some members of the Interpol who arrested the heroine turned criminal. A female Caucasian clerk in her late twenties had stood up from her seat when she had commenced her statement.

" Will the clerk please swear in the jury? " the judge asked.

" Will the jury please stand and raise your right hand? " the clerk added when everyone was still standing. " Do each of you swear that you will fairly try the case before this court, and that you will return a true verdict according tothe evidence and the instructions of the court, so help you, God? Please say "I do". "

" I do..."

" You may be seated. "

Everyone took their seats when Nilgram was still standing in front of his Russian clients and approaching to the judge and then to the jury. They turned their full attention to him when it was his first to proclaim.

" Your Honor and ladies and gentlemen of the jury: the defendant has been charged with an international crime of destructive acts on the streets of St. Petersburg, Russia on the wee hours in the morning of October 24th " he explained. " The defendant was arrested three weeks later by the INTERPOL, since they had taken all the evidences from the street surveillance cameras. Now, this former Avenger has a Red Notice. The evidences I present will prove to you guilty as charged. "

Nilgram sternly glared at Carol when he took his seat. It was Jennifer Walters' turn to respond when she stood up and confronted the jury.

" Your Honor and ladies and gentlemen of the jury: under the law my client is presumed innocent until proven guilty. During this trial, you will hear no real evidence against my client. You will come to know the truth: that Mrs. Montmartre was fighting against the HYDRA Agents in that time of the incident, " she replied. " During those hours, she was being influenced and tormented by another detractor in the scene. That caused her to do such acts. Therefore my client is not guilty. "