Chapter 46

In an attempt to make it right with Quincy, I planned our next date.

I pulled out all the stops, his mother let me in his house while he was at work, and she left for a date of her own. It was the perfect amount of time to cook a meal for him, and set up a romantic vibe in his living room with blankets, candles, and his favorite movie on tape.

I even bought myself a new dress for the occasion that was a little too short and revealing for the December weather.

You only get one chance at a good first impression.

Quincy walked into the house just as I finished placing the movie snacks on the coffee table. I watched as he slowly made his way into the room, caught off guard by the mood music and the candle lights.

"Surprise!" I beamed happily, extending my arms out, my smile widening as I watched him slowly but surely smile back at me.

His eyes looked around the room with wonder. "Janae, what is all this?"

"Me being the best girlfriend ever." I gloated playfully as I walked to him, wrapping him in my arms. "I wanted you to come home to something special." I kissed his cheek softly before kissing his lips. "And to say sorry for how things have been for the last couple of weeks."

"Oh, so this is just you tryna win me over?" He asked, looking at me amused, his hands lowering against my back.

"A little bit." I smiled, only to let out a laugh, catching the expression on his face. "Okay, a lot," I confessed.

Quincy's response was kissing my lips once more, not letting me out of his grasp as his lips moved against mine. His kisses wandered to my neck as he pulled at my dress gently.

"Wait, wait, wait." I breathed out, pushing him away slowly. "I made you dinner."

"You made me food?" He asked with a small smile.

"Yes." I grabbed his hand, pulling him into the kitchen where I showcased the perfectly set up plates on the table. "Now, will you please take a seat and enjoy this?"

I pulled out his chair, smiling as he took a seat. I took my seat across from him, the two of us beginning to enjoy our meal. I wasn't a frequent cook, but I knew what to do in the kitchen. So I couldn't help but feel proud of myself at the compliments he threw my way after taking his first bite. We ate in silence, the music creating a comfortable space for us to not feel the need to speak. But I did notice how frequently Q looked towards me while he ate, making me a bit self-conscious about how messily I might have been eating.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked, wiping my lips with a napkin.

"I don't know. I just never thought you'd go out of your way to do something like this." He admitted.

"Really?"

"Yeah. This really surprised me, showed me how much you care."

"You know I care about you," I said.

Quincy just smiled softly. "But you never show it like this." He reached over and grabbed my hand. "And I appreciate it."

I laced our fingers together. "I'd do anything for you. You know that. I love you."

"Love you more."

It was still surprising to me how I could feel such a way about someone, let alone someone like Quincy. He had everything a girl was looking for all wrapped up and neatly packed while I was the girl who had yet to figure it all out and was always got caught up with everyone and everything else besides herself.

And I was caught up in him, without a doubt, and looking at him made me feel hopeful.

Hopeful that as long as he was by my side, I'd be okay. 'Cause he made me feel okay. Yes, we were still young, and yes, we had way more stupid shit to go through besides Nico and Bianca coming through to play the devils in our lives. But, I wouldn't want to come back to anyone else at the end of it all. No matter if we grew up and became different people.

His heart was still mine.

And I wasn't letting it go.

That was why I couldn't make the same mistakes from before,  I had to come clean to him before I blink and shit was going left, and I couldn't even shoot him a warning.

"I have something I wanna talk to you about," I whispered softly as we laid on the floor on the pillows and blankets I set up.

Quincy was fully engrossed in the film playing out in front of him, so much so, he didn't even look at me as he responded. "What?"

"It's important, Q," I stated, sitting up, making him look at me curiously before he grabbed the remote, putting the movie on pause, sitting up to look at me.

"What? You okay?"

I took a deep breath before starting to speak. "Kaylen's in trouble with Nico. Like some deep shit, way deeper than I was in."

"Like what?"

"Like watching him kill Markell." I hesitantly admitted, watching Quincy's eyes widen like saucers. "And he knows we know. So I just wanted to tell you, so you're not left in the dark like last time."

"Nae, he could kill-"

"I know." I cut him off with a nod. "That's why I'm telling you. I'm gonna be with Kay, just to make sure she's good. But if word gets around he did it, and I'm not where I said I was gonna be. Please promise me you'll try and figure it out."

"Janae I-"

"Promise me." I requested sternly, grabbing his hand. "Baby, please."

"I promise." He whispered.

The whole situation gave me more anxiety than I would let on. We weren't fucking around with his little brother. We were fucking with him and his chances of staying a free man. Something that any and every dude with a record didn't play with.

And the closer the police got to finding the truth, the worse it felt.

As much as we gossiped about what he was about among our generation, we made sure the higher-ups ain't hear none of that shit coming from us. Nico was well protected, even by bitches, like myself, who didn't give a fuck about him.

So the fact they were sniffing around for him was concerning.

I'm gonna be around." Quincy declared. "Where you go, I go."

"Quin-"

"And you're calling me and paging me every chance you get. If I'm gonna keep track of you, you gotta help me out." A smile reached my lips at his words of support. "I won't let anything happen to you." He cupped my face in his hands as he looked into my eyes, and I slowly nodded.

"Thank you." I pecked his lips gently.

"Thank you for letting me in this time."

We exchanged a few more loving pecks before the underlying desire he had felt as soon as he saw me came to the surface. Quincy wasted no time, pulling me to his lap, pressing my body into his, not being shy about what he wanted.

"Isn't your Mom gonna-"

"You need to stop worrying." He muttered, starting to kiss on my neck. "No wonder why you're so freaked out and stressed. But I got you." He pulled away from my skin to look me in my eyes. "Lemme take care of you."

His tone and intense and lustful stare alone was enough to send a shiver down my spine, and I was sold. Grabbing an extra blanket off of the couch, I  threw it over us and fused his lips with mine.

'Cause no one could take care of me like he does.