Chapter 44

Markell's death sent shockwaves throughout the community. And with Rocky's efforts, we were able to get a vigil together to honor his life. The whole movement then took on legs of its own after his mother managed to get on the news, demanding that his killer be found.

Seeing we were an area known for crime, among other things, cops weren't really checking for someone's killer like that. But in hearing he was just an innocent teen with a bright future, the story got around, and people were taking it seriously.

In my opinion, the police were just waiting for something that could cause traction so they could bring down the street life all in one. In times of crisis, the streets tended to go quiet, and in going quiet, someone was bound to fuck up. That's why drug dealers were being snatched up left and right, when at the end of the day, it was all about finding a killer. 

"Where are you going?" I asked curiously as I entered the house, seeing Ma and Pops on their way out.

"City hall meeting," Mama replied, making me instantly pull a face.

"You're going to that thing?"

"If there's any chance that we can come around and make this place a little safer, seeing what we've seen, and knowing what we know, we're gonna be apart of it." Dad expressed, fixing his coat on his body. 

"We'll be back in an hour or two. There's food in the fridge, and do your homework." Ma instructed and I just nodded, moving to get comfortable, taking my jacket off.

"Tell me how it goes," I said.

"We will."

And with some quick goodbyes, they were gone. Leaving me to have dinner alone, thinking about what could be talked about at that city hall meeting. From the rundown that I got, it was on strategies to combat the street life in our communities and try and get positive changes to make it a little safer.

I wasn't fully convinced a meeting was gonna fix anything, but I didn't want to think that negatively about the situation.

Someone had to have hope around here.

A knock came on the door, making me get up from the couch. I put my science book on the coffee table, and checked my window, recognizing Kaylen.

Opening the door, I was surprised to see the kind of state she was in when she was actually in front of me. She looked tore up.

And I wish there was some possible way to make that term positive.

The Kaylen that stood in front of me looked exhausted from head to toe. She had bags under her eyes and looked like she'd been crying for a couple of hours. She also looked impatient and anxious, I could tell by the way she pushed past me to enter the house.

"I need to talk to you. Is anyone around?"

"No, what's the problem?" I shut the door softly. "Why do you look sad?"

"I fucked up, Nae." She breathed out, turning to me. She sounded like she was ready to burst into tears as she twiddled with her thumbs. "I really fucked up."

"What are you talking about?" I walked closer to her, pulling her to sit on the couch with me. "Whatever it is I know it's not gonna be that bad."

"I know who killed Markell."

This was bad.

"What?"

Kaylen just buried her head in her hands as she started to cry. "It was Nico." She confessed. "And he knows I know."

"Kaylen, what are you talking about?" I asked cautiously, instantly becoming alert at the mention of Nico's name.

"I was hanging with Lorenzo. And we were just in his car around Nico and them, and I saw Markell come around, and he was scared, I could see it on his face. And next thing I know Nico's yelling and he pulls out a gun and shoots. And Lorenzo just peeled out. I guess one of Nico's boys recognized the car and pulled up on us yesterday."