Chapter 13

After what felt like a weekend out of a movie, Monday came around to introduce a new school week, reminding me of reality.

As disappointing as it was to go back to homework, papers, and classes, I still woke up with a smile. I got up early and took my time getting dressed, putting a little extra effort into my outfit. After a successful date with Q, I wanted to make sure that the next time he saw me, I was looking flawless.

I just didn't anticipate that moment would be only minutes after I walked into the school building.

I gripped Raquel's arm, making her stop and look at me. "Do I look okay?" I questioned.

"He's down the hall ain't he?" Rocky concluded with a smile.

"Yes, now, please?" I gestured to my body.

She took a step back to get a good look, "you're good." She then fished into her pocket, extending a tube of chapstick my way. "Use some of this."

I swiftly applied some to my lips before handing it back to her. "Thank you."

"Now, let's go." Raquel linked her arm with mine, a hint of excitement in her tone.

I took a deep breath then proceeded to walk down the hall with her trying my best to act casual. Subtly glancing over in Quincy's direction to give the impression that we just so happened to cross paths. The smile I grew to adore greeted me as we locked gazes.

"Hi, Janae."

"Hi." I smiled back.

"Hi," Rocky added, making her presence known, and I just nudged her.

Quincy acknowledged Rock with a small wave before he addressed me. "I had a nice time Saturday."

I was eager to agree. "Me too." I paused, remembering my initial intention to be cool. "We should do it again sometime."

"For sure." He agreed.

I found myself trying to hold back a smile, "I'll see you later."

"Yeah."

"Bye Q." Rocky grinned, the two of us continuing on down the hall. "You handled that well."

"You think?"

"Yeah, he'll be crazy if he doesn't ask you out again. All of this has just been building up. The jokes, him walking you home, all the talking, the club, now a date. Y'all just need to make this official and kiss so this volcano can erupt."

"Kiss?"

"Yes, what you and Trevor did in the park seventh grade. And when it gets real serious, maybe a little of what I did with Kyle at June's party." She wiggled her eyebrows.

"Rocky!" I gasped and she just laughed.

I'd been thinking about the possibilities of what could end up going down between us all throughout my Sunday. A kiss defiantly crossed my mind, but all my overthinking and analyzing made me quickly shut it down. I didn't want to get that hopeful. One date didn't guarantee everything.

All I knew was that he liked me and I liked him.

That's all I was concerned about.

🖤

"So, what's going on?" Nicki asked as she sat across from me at Eddy's twirling her straw around in her milkshake.

"Nothing," I replied, sipping on my milkshake, and I watched as she exchanged looks with Kay before they both stared me down for more. "What?"