Chapter 6

The only thing different the next day was Raquel's attitude. From the look on her face in the morning, we all knew something was off, and we weren't gonna let it slide.

The five of us sat in Mr. Garrison's room before homeroom started.

"Who we gotta jump?" Will asked, sitting in front of her.

"Will." Mr. Garrison warned.

Willed rolled her eyes. "It was a joke, Mr. G."

"My mom and Andre argued and kept me up all night." Rocky explained. "He came home drunk again, and it was like she blew. Said he's ungrateful for his opportunities. He hasn't been in class all week, and he threw up on my floor."

I cringed at her words. Andre was Rocky's cousin that her mother took in last year, after his father took a job in Nevada, and he wanted to stay in Cali. After his mother died, he had a hard time, and now that he was just left with his Aunt, I couldn't imagine how he felt.

"Is he okay?" Nicki asked, concerned.

"When I left, he was sleeping in my bed, and my Mom already left for work, so we'll see how this goes." She sighed. "I just hope she doesn't kick him out."

"Well, if she does, he can stay with me." Will insisted. "My mom likes him, and one more boy around ain't gonna hurt nobody."

"How do all of y'all live in that one house?" I wondered.

"Easy. I get my own room cause I'm the only girl." She smiled.

The bell rung, cutting off our conversation.

"Alright, out ladies. You all got homerooms, and it ain't in here." Mr. Garrison spoke.

"See you in an hour, Mr. G." Kaylen smiled, all of us making our way out of the room.

"So, what's the plan after school today? I'm tryna go get a milkshake from the Eddy's." I brought up as we walked.

"I got basketball practice," Will answered.

"I gotta write my speech for sophomore class representative. I've been putting it off for a whole week." Rocky added.

"I'm still helping my Mom for free." Nicki sighed.

"I can go-"

"Yo Kay!" A voice called out, making us turn, seeing Aaron on the other side of the hall.

An instant smile came on her face before she started to walk away. "I'll catch up with y'all later."

"Oh my god, that girl." Nicki smiled, shaking her head.

"I'll see you guys." I simply responded before making my way to my homeroom, wondering why I even asked in the first place.

🖤

I ended up making the decision to go get a milkshake on my own. After Calvin made a big deal about me staying around the house, I wasn't tryna hear it again. So, when the final bell rang, I went to my locker, grabbed the things I needed, and made the walk to Eddy's Burgers.

Eddy's was known for its bomb burgers and even better milkshakes. It was the main place that merged the two sides of the city together and held a sense of pride in our community. It was black-owned and run for as long as it had been in business. My parents even had one of their first dates there way back when.

I ordered a burger and a vanilla milkshake before taking a seat in the booth and pulling out some homework to do.

"Janae." I heard making me look up from my History book to see a couple girls that were in my grade sitting in the booth in front of me. "Why are you sitting by yourself?" A girl I recognized as June asked.