Chapter 8

Things started getting serious.

It was something we all knew but never wanted to speak about. Instead of kids just skipping class to skip, they skipped to get high in the bathroom. And mixing the drug life with the gang life, there were just streets I knew I had to steer clear of at all costs.

It was on the down-low, but as soon as something went left, it would be parents gossip. Then Calvin and I would once again have to sit and endure another speech about being careful and doing the right thing.

All I knew was that I was gonna get to Calvin before my parents could. That way, I could get some honest talk and not generic assurance he was gonna stay out of trouble.

And with the way Rocky was still high strung over Andre, I would either have to go to Shad or Calvin for help.

I just didn't know the day I decided to speak about all this to Calvin I would come home to the whole family. One of his friends offered me something after school, and it freaked me out so much I couldn't stay tight lipped about it.

I knew how close he was with his friends, and I felt like I'd kill him myself if I found out he was somehow involved too.

"Calvin!" I called out as I entered the house, locking the door behind me. "Calvin! I gotta talk to you!" I walked into the kitchen, instantly pausing at the sight of my mother and sister. "Oh."

"What's going on?" Calvin asked, making me turn around, seeing him with Rashad. "There a problem?"

I thought of a quick lie. "Shana likes you. Couldn't stop talking about you in my English class." I forced a smile. "What'd you do to her?" I turned around and started to greet everyone with hugs.

"Nothing."

"Well, it must've been something. 'Cause she's got a whole crush." I took a seat at the table. "You should take her out."

"She's a sophomore."

"So?"

"So, no." He smiled. "I know I be pulling honeys, but I don't need her." He then walked back to the living room with a pep in his step and a boost in his ego.

"Well damn," Shad commented with a laugh.

"I didn't know you were off from work today," I commented, looking to my mother and sister.

"I always have every other Tuesday off." Mama reminded me.

"And it's about time for Daddy to get home. It's not early, Nae." Kelly added. "Where have you been?"

"Just across the street with Nicki. I helped her make cupcakes for Kay's birthday tomorrow."

"When am I gonna get these sweet sixteen invites?" Calvin asked, making his reappearance.

"You just said you weren't messing with sophomores, yet you want an invite?" I asked, amused.

"Yes, so where's mine?"

"It got lost in the mail." I told him playfully.

That made us laugh, leading us to sit around the kitchen and catch up. It all almost distracting me from what was troubling my mind.

🖤

After dinner, I found my perfect opportunity. Slipping into Calvin's room after I was put on dish duty with Shad. It was more of a bubble war than anything, but they got done.

"We need to talk about Nico," I spoke as I saw him sitting at his desk doing homework.

He looked up at me. "Why?"