Chapter 33

Spring break came around, and that's when I decided I was fully invested in myself. I was motivated after remembering my junior year of high school was almost over, and there was still so much for me to figure out and accomplish.

I started out by having Kelly and Rashad help me with my driving skills, listening to the little tips and tricks they told me about what to do at the DMV. When I wasn't doing that, I was on the job hunt. I never realized it before, but having a boyfriend to spend time with took a lot out of my day, and I had expenses I wanted to look out for. After Calvin jokingly shoved his paycheck from Eddy's in my face one afternoon, I was determined to go and get one of my own.

"What's with the whole busy body attitude?" Calvin asked as he caught me coming back in the house after checking in with Nicki to see if her mom needed extra hands at the daycare.

She did. But she wasn't gonna pay me for it.

"You have a lot of free time when you're single," I replied. "Why do you think you're always on the couch on your days off?"

Calvin just threw a pillow at me, making me duck out of the way with a laugh.

"What happened with Lyrica?" I wondered.

"Just wants me to take her to prom with no strings attached."

I frowned. "What? Why? You're not ugly or anything."

"That's why I'm still confused."

"Take somebody else."

"She's already got her dress."

"Damn," I muttered. I bit my lip, trying to think of other alternatives. "Just put the moves on her. I don't know. Make her like you." I started to walk out of the room.

"I've been trying."

"Try harder!" I yelled back at him as I closed the door to my room.

🖤

I sent Tommy a warm smile as I placed my snacks on the counter, watching him ring them up. "Hey Tommy."

"Hey Nae. How you been?"

"I've been good." I replied. "Actually looking for a job right now."

"Is that right?"

"You don't happen to be looking for an extra hand around here would you?" I asked hopefully.

"No, I'm sorry, my kids have that covered. But I'd say check in with Mrs. Jean down the street."

"Okay, I will." I grabbed my bag and change. "Have a nice rest of your day."

"You too, Janae."

I made my way out of the store, stopping to open my chip bag, nearly missing someone exit behind me and walking past me. I looked up curiously only to frown seeing Nico.

"So you're looking for a job." He commented.

"Do you talk to everybody else as much as you talk to me?" I crossed my arms.

"I mean I thought we were cool." He replied with a smug expression. The both of us knew that was far from the truth. "I mean, if you're looking for a job I-"

"No." I instantly denied.

"You did some good work at the party a while back." He continued. "Made me some cool cash. And if you're down to continue on with your special abilities, you can get a percentage of the dough. I'm a great boss."

"I'm good."

"Offers always up for grabs. Once everybody on this block turns you down, you could be a great addition to the team."