Chapter 7

"Vote for Rocky." I smiled, handing over a lollipop and a flyer to the person in front of me. The girl smiled before walking away, revealing the next person. "Vote for Rocky," I repeated doing the same thing.

I was spending my free period campaigning for Rocky's run for sophomore class representative. We had a table set up near the lunchroom with her poster hanging on the front and a bowl of candy to grab people's attention.

Elections were in a couple days, and Rocky was playing no games since she got beat out the year before by Dorinda White. Seeing that we were all competitive, if Rocky didn't pull this win for the second year in a row, after all this effort, we would all be ready to start a riot.

"Oh, nuh-uh." I slapped Tyree's hand from the bowl. "You're an upperclassman, this has nothing to do with you."

"It's still free candy, though."

"Calvin, get your friend," I spoke, giving my brother a look.

"Hand over the bowl." Calvin requested.

I just smiled, pulling the bowl closer to me. "No. Get to class."

"I'll vote for Rock."

"You can't vote stupid." I retorted. Only to let out a sigh and hand them each a little something.

"Thank you." Calvin smiled. "Hope she wins." He reached forward, patting the top of my head.

"Stop touching me!" I pushed his hand with a laugh, watching them walk away.

I was then left to round up all the familiar faces I saw that were casually walking around skipping class to listen to what I had to say. Rocky gave us a script of her basic campaign promises. She hoped to pull people in by offering more fun learning activities. Nobody wanted to stay in class to begin with since it was all just lectures, chalkboards, and books. Unlike others running with her, she actually wanted to make this school a better learning environment.

The reality was people that were dropping out left and right, our test scores weren't the best, and it was almost like we were giving up. But at least we had a little hope if we had Rocky sitting at the table representing us where it mattered.

"So this is where you've been," Quincy spoke with a smile as he appeared in the hallway. 

"Hey." I greeted. "You voting for Rocky?" I asked with a playful smile holding up the flyer as he approached. "She promises to get our voices heard."

"So, exactly what Dorinda is promising?" He asked in amusement as he grabbed the flyer.

"Well, Rock actually means it."

"And why would Dorinda not?"

"Cause Dorinda also promised better lunch food, and that ain't happen yet either." I quipped.

"Ohh, that was a low blow." He joked.

I shrugged. "Just keeping it real."

Quincy reached into the bowl, grabbing a lollipop. "I'll think about it."

"I'mma need a refund on that lollipop then."

"Nope." Unwrapping it, he placed it in his mouth with a smirk.

That alone made me roll my eyes. "You better make the right choice then Quincy."

"Q." He corrected me.

"What? You think that makes you sound cooler or something?" I teased.

"You think being called Nae makes you sound cooler?"

"That's my nickname." I smiled amused.

"Q's my nickname."

"Well, that's fair."

The two of us chuckled lightly.

"Well, I'll leave you on the campaign trail then." He took a couple steps back from the table, his eyes not leaving mine as he did so.

"Vote for Rocky," I repeated, pointing to him.

"I did that last year." He said. "And I'm loyal."

With that, he left me with a smile and some assurance. Rock had a chance to win, and without even knowing it, I was slowly building up a crush on this kid.

Slowly but surely.

🖤

"I'm in crisis," Rocky spoke as she slammed herself down at our lunch table.

"Rock, the election is going fine." I tried assuring her.

"Andre was talking to Nico." She announced.

Kaylen almost choked on her food, letting out a cough,"What?!"

"Will, you gotta talk to Donte and your other brothers. Nico's starting to recruit for drug runs." Rocky urgently spoke.

"Where are you getting this from?" Nicki asked curiously.

"Monte told me. He started working for Nico last week."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I asked, shocked.

Raquel just ignored my statement looking to Will. "You gotta talk to them and make them talk to Dre."

"I don't even know if my own brothers aren't smart enough to be turn down quick money like that." Will honestly voiced.

"Then tell your Dad."

Will just gave her a stern look "Now you know I ain't no snitch."

"Do y'all even understand what this means?" Rock demanded in a hushed tone.

All of us just stayed silent 'cause we knew. This was gonna start a mess in our own backyard. With Nico offering up money like that to kids who needed to help their families out and keep themselves afloat, it was a dangerous and tempting offer.

And it could also be Dre's last straw with Rocky's mother.

"You just gotta talk some sense to him on your own." Will finally spoke up. "I got four brothers I gotta make sure don't fall through the cracks, Rock."

By the look on her face Rocky was not trying to hear any of that. "I can't just let him ruin his life."

"That's not always your decision to make," Nicki responded, placing a hand on Rocky's shoulder.

In the next second Rocky was up and out as quick as she came in, leaving all of us stunned.

"Rocky!" I called after her. I rose to my feet only to let out a breath and sit back down, thinking it would be better to give her space.

I knew where she was coming from. Something like this could be Andre's ultimate downfall.

It could be the downfall of a lot of kids in our school.

And unfortunately, it was.