Chapter 34

Once school wrapped up for the summer vacation, I continued to focus on my self growth, proud of all the accomplishments I had achieved now the school was out of my way.

I had found myself a job at the local grocery store and got my license. And I spent my free time with my family or the girls. I was a lot happier and started to see the brighter side of my single status.

But as much as I felt fine with the thought of never seeing Quincy again once the summer started, it was also impossible to not run across him on a rare occasion.

He looked different, and I wish I didn't mean it in a positive way.

He looked matured. He was rocking a low fade after cutting down his hair. And it was obvious he had started spending time in the gym with how toned his body became. He looked like a man, and I'd be lying to myself if I said I didn't find it attractive.

But he was the next girl's issue. And a bigger part of me was okay with that.

We were both growing in our own ways, separately, for the better.

At least that's what I was telling myself.

The first big event of the summer was the class of 95s' graduation party. Besides the regular cookouts to celebrate their big day, a group of kids, Calvin included, pitched in for a house party at the end of the month.

And the girls wanted to crash.

"You're gonna try and tell me a little part of you doesn't wanna go?" Kay asked knowingly as I stocked the shelves in front of her.

"Don't you wanna celebrate with your brother?" Rocky added.

"How'd they even convince you to say yes to this?" I asked, glancing at Rocky.

"We just reminded her of the fact that she's lived a boring and unfulfilling life until this point." Nicki smiled.

"Damn." I gave her the side eye, feeling the sting of the comment.

"It's about to be our senior year. We gotta go all out while we can." Nicki pushed. "The party would be fun. We deserve a break from all this growing up bullshit."

"Still hate changing the diapers." I teased.

Nicki rolled her eyes. "Don't even start asking me if I want kids."

"Okay, so." I paused my work, looking at them. "It's tonight right?"

"Yup." Rocky confirmed.

"So I have more time to think?" I asked.

"No." Kaylen scrunched up her face. "That means we need a decision now."

I still wasn't fully convinced. "Come by after my shift is over and I'll let you know."

"You got three hours." Nicki declared. "Or we coming for you." She pointed her finger my way, making me smile.

"Stop tryna get me fired."

"Fine, we'll leave." Rocky smiled.

"Three hours." Nicki repeated as the three of them started walking away from me. I just got back to stocking the shelves, wondering what was holding me back from telling them what they wanted to hear.

As I went on with the rest of my shift I came to the conclusion that I just wasn't the type of girl for a party like that. Based on my experience at a house party, I wasn't down to sit in a bedroom and do drugs or get drunk. I liked chilling in someone's living room with some popcorn and a good movie.

But I understood where the girls were coming from. We were reaching a new point in our lives and had to take in as much as possible before we ended up like the class of '95 and in a blink of an eye, everything was over with.