Chapter 14

We were officially together.

After three more dates, Quincy asked me to be his girl while walking me home from school. My 16-year-old heart couldn't handle how happy I was to know that I was now a girlfriend, Quincy's girlfriend.

All that was left now was for us to get over the awkwardness and kiss.

We took it slow, Q really proving to me that he enjoyed my time and presence, rather than pursuing me for the physical. We had a connection that was deeper than that.

But with all of that in mind, it did make the idea of kissing Q intimidating. I wanted everything to stay as perfect as it was. Nervous that if we took the next step, it would be underwhelming to him after all the groundwork we laid out. It was kind of like what Rocky said about the volcano erupting. I wasn't quite sure that I was ready for it, even though I wanted it to.

The two of us walked along the sidewalk, approaching my home, his hand gripping mine. "You ever gonna get tired of walking me home?" I asked.

"No." He replied. "You're my girl now, gotta treat you right."

"So, you paid for bowling and our food," I spoke. "When do I get to do something for you? Treat you right."

"All you gotta do is keep dating me." He told me.

"I'm being serious Q," I nudged him. "What do you want me to do?"

He shrugged, not having much to say. "I don't know, maybe call me sometimes."

"What else?" I queried, truly interested in being a good girlfriend to him.

Summer was just around the corner, and without having school as our common place to meet up, I wanted to keep our connection alive and interactions frequent. Anything he asked of me to do, I was down.

"Come watch me play ball."

"Okay. I can do that." I stated as we reached my house, Q walking me to the door, a habit he made ever since Calvin ok'd him.

"Thank you, I really had a nice time."

"I always have a nice time with you." He told me, making heat rush to my cheeks.

"Call me when you get home?" I asked. "Like last time, so I know you're okay."

"Okay." He agreed, sticking his hands in his pockets. "Have a good night Nae."

"You too, bye Quincy."

"Bye." Q smiled before turning to walk away.

It suddenly didn't feel right to just let him walk away. After many moments like these where he walked me home, and I wondered will he or won't he as we stood in front of my door, I wanted to be bold. And before I could think twice about it, I grabbed his arm, making him look at me. "Wait." I pressed up on my toes, leaned into him, and placed a quick kiss on his lips.

Quincy looked stunned as I took a step back. "What was that?" He smiled.

"Me treating you right."

His smile grew as he glanced down before looking at me."You're really cute y'know that, right?"

"I've been told." I playfully responded as I opened the door. "Bye Q."

"Goodnight Nae."

Giving him a final smile, I slipped inside the house, resting my back against the door after I closed it behind me. In awe of what my boost of confidence led me to do, a stupid grin on my face.

"Date number 5." Kelly spoke from her position on the couch. "How'd it go with your boyfriend?"

"Amazing." I beamed, pushing myself off the door. "He's like... perfect Kelly."