Chapter 39

Explaining the situation to the girls was tough. They wanted concerte yes or no answers on whether we were back together, and I couldn't give them that. And I couldn't give that to them for a while. Quincy and I were taking things day by day and weren't in a rush. As much as I wanted him to be mine again and call him my boyfriend, it was weird coming together after everything we'd been through. It was almost like we were together and didn't need to put a label on it. It was assumed, and we didn't fight anyone on it.

We were figuring shit out with no pressure.

Which is exactly why I left my family out of the loop.

"I'll be back." I spoke as I passed by Kelly and Rashad in the kitchen.

"Where you going?" Kelly asked, making me pause.

Nobody really asked me where I was going or what I was doing ever since I got my job. They all figured that I was either going to work or hanging with the girls. So it was odd I was getting follow up questions.

"It's your day off." Rashad added.

"I know. I'm just, gonna go hang out." I replied.

"Is that Quincy's car outside?" Kelly asked, crossing her arms.

"What?" I tried to play dumb, going and peeking out the window, indeed seeing Quincy waiting out front. "I just- like I don't know what he's-"

"Are y'all back together?" Rashad questioned, not even wanting to continue to listen to me string together some kind of a lie.

"No." I shook my head.

"Then why is he outside?"

"We're just gonna, hang out. I don't know." I shrugged. I honestly had no idea what was in store for me once I got into his car, so that was genuine.

"And you're not together? Since when did y'all even start talking?" Kelly pushed.

"Why are y'all pressing me about this?" I asked with a sigh, crossing my arms.

"Cause he's your ex, and I don't like him." Rashad insisted.

"You don't like him?" I repeated, pulling a face. "Since when?"

"Since he became your ex. What type of question is that?" He looked at me as if I was dumb.

"Okay well, I'll catch y'all later. If you're still around." I told them as I walked to the door.

"I want you back in this house by 10." Rashad spoke as Mama made her way into the room.

"Why are you giving me a curfew?" I asked with confusion.

"Cause you deserve to have one with those wishy washy ass answers." Mama just slapped the back of his head because of his language.

"Ow! Ma you should see who she's going out with!" Rashad pointed at me like a child, making me smile, walking out of the door, swiftly shutting it behind me before rushing to Q's car.

That was exactly why I wanted to keep this on the down low.

"What took you so long?" He asked, giving me a warm smile, kissing my lips.

"Shad and Kelly stopped me at the door." I replied, putting on my seatbelt as he started to drive.

"You tell 'em about us?"

"I tried, but I don't think they get it. You know how they are." I waved the situation off. "Where are we going?"

"The movies." He responded. "You tryna see that movie with the pig in it?"