Chapter 40

Senior year started, and it had a different energy to it. With Calvin in college and Rashad already set up in his new adult life, I was the only kid in the house. So it was a lot of silent mornings and not having to fight over a bathroom, something I didn't think I'd miss, but I kinda did.

Quincy and I were officially back together, which was a hard sell to my family, but I knew they were just looking out for me. I was happy, and it wasn't hard to see. So that was enough to let them leave me in my peace.

Will and Leon were together and going strong. Will slowly but surely evolved, not completely straying from her tomboy appearance, which was a good sight to see. Kaylen had a new boy trying to weave his way into her life, Lorenzo Parks, someone who was easy on the eyes but had some ties in the street life. The girls and I warned her to stay away, but the boy was persistent, and Kaylen was always open and accepting. Nicki, who spent her summer going on dates here and there, swore up and down she wasn't looking for anything serious, just wanting to graduate and go on into the world a free bird. While Raquel found herself crushing on Tahj. After he did a piece on her for the school newspaper about her being student body president, she was sprung. It was interesting and exciting that one of my best friends found herself wanting to be with one of my man's best friends, so we were doing anything to make that happen.

And I had my first hater.

Bianca.

Quincy had to explain to me that he didn't always talk nice about me with Bianca after our breakup, so she was just being protective of her friend. But all I knew was if she was ready to speak some words rather than glare at me like she wanted to run me over, I'd gladly have a conversation.

"I'm telling you, she doesn't like me." I spoke as I walked down the hall with Rocky and Will.

"Then that means she likes Q." Will concluded. "Simple."

"He denied all claims though." Rocky responded.

"Rock, what is he supposed to know? She ain't about to tell him she's feeling him when he's got a girl." Will replied.

"But she'll watch from the sidelines like a hater and say nothing?" Rocky asked, trying to make sense of it all. "That makes so much sense." She rolled her eyes, her sarcasm being evident. "I haven't even seen them talk once since the school year started. So that's some friendship."

"I don't push it." I stopped at my locker, putting the combination in.

"Why do you even allow it?" Will asked, leaning against the locker next to mine.

"Why do you allow Leon to have girl friends?" I quipped.

"Cause I have nigga friends. What kind of bitch would I look like getting tight about that?"

"My point." I told her as I reached for a book, tucking it under my arm, and slamming my locker shut.

"You wanna talk about shit that doesn't make sense." Will brought up, pushing herself off of the lockers. "Why you haven't made a move on Tahj yet." My eyes looking to Rocky as a smile instantly came on my lips.

"You know you have to." I added.

"No." Rocky firmly stated, starting to walk away, leaving us to keep up.

"Why?" I demanded. "It's been a couple weeks since the article came out, Rodney's throwing a Halloween party. Everyone's gonna be there, make a move."

"That's a really good idea." Will commented.

"Thanks." The two of us high fived.

"You're really tryna make us go to a party after what happened the last time?" Rocky gave us looks.