Chapter 11

Figuring out you have a crush on someone is tough. As much as you wanted to immerse yourself in the feeling and be on cloud nine, you also wanted to save yourself from looking, saying, or doing, anything stupid.

So, I spent my days trying to act as cool as possible around Quincy. I stressed myself out to make sure nothing I did could give off even the slightest idea that I liked him. I came up with excuses to sneak off when I felt a little extra uncomfortable and flattered by something nice he would say. And I acted as if I could care less if he walked me home or not, not wanting to seem too eager to be around him. But like the respectful and kind person he was, he never offered and not came through, even after I gave him the option not to.

If I didn't have the girls with me throughout the days at school, I would've for sure drove myself crazy thinking about him. Wondering if he thought about me as much as I thought about him. The girls were able to give me the distraction I needed so my mind could take a break from fantasizing.

I sat in Mr. Garrison's class with my chin resting in the palm of my hand, daydreaming. I thought about how Quincy smiled at me earlier in the day and wondered what kind of conversation we would have during study hall in the library.

The force of Will's hand pushing my arm snapped me out of my daze. "Mr. G's talking to you." Her thumb motioned for my attention to be at the front of the room.

"Huh?"

Garrison stared me down expectantly. "What's the answer?"

"Uh-" I stammered a bit before the bell rung, saving me. I jumped out of my seat and collected my belongings, following everyone's lead and rushing out of there.

"Don't forget about the homework!" He shouted after us.

"What's the homework?" I asked, looking to Rocky curiously.

"Where was your head at all class?" She asked.

"Seriously, G's class is our favorite. If anything I should be the one daydreaming." Will added.

"Yeah, thanks for hitting me so goddamn hard." I sarcastically remarked as I gave her a glare.

"Bitch, you're lucky I ain't shove you out the whole seat."

I chose to ignore her words as I leaned against some lockers, all of us huddled around Kaylen's as usual. My thoughts started wandering again, tuning Rocky out as she started to explain Andre's latest antics, my attention getting caught by another scene.

It was Quincy. He was down the hall with his friends, socializing just the way we were. The only difference was that he had a girl smiling in his face.

I felt myself almost feel sick at the sight yet, I was too intrigued to look away.

For the first time, I experienced jealousy on a romantic level. I wanted to be in her shoes, looking up and smiling at him. The fact that it was her instead of me made me agitated. Agitated at him because he was entertaining her attention, the same way he would mine.

I just looked at the girls with worry. "Do I look okay?" I glanced down at my shirt and skirt combo with doubt. Kelly told me she thought the outfit suited my figure, and that was enough to make me feel confident in wearing it. But now, knowing I had competition, I felt my confidence dim.

Rocky was the first to give me a quick look over. "You look fine, why?"

"I just...thought I spilled something...this morning on- on my skirt." I struggled to get the lie out as I timidly crossed one leg over the other.

Will leaned forward to inspect my attire."I don't see anything."

Kaylen stared at me quizzically. "You okay? You're being weird."