Chapter 9

It wasn't long until someone got caught, and by late March the mood at school just wasn't the mood I was trying to be in. The only things that really pushed me through were my girls, Mr. Garrison's class, and talking to Q during my free period hoping for the rare chance that he'd walk me home. Something that happened more than once since the first time he did it at the beginning of the year.

"Thanks for walking me," I said as I stood in front of Quincy, placing my hands in my jacket pocket. "Again." I smiled, watching him shrug nonchalantly with a smile of his own.

"No problem."

"I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow's Saturday."

I instantly felt like an idiot. "Oh."

"I don't know, maybe we'll run into each other." He told me, and I just knew he was saying that to make my words a little less embarrassing.

"Maybe." I agreed. "Have a good weekend then."

"You too."

"Bye."

"Bye."

I just walked to my front door, pulling out my keys and letting myself inside.

"Why does that kid keep walking you home?"

That voice instantly startled me, making me place a hand on my chest, seeing Calvin. "Did you skip last period again? Jesus." I snapped as I tried to recover from my scare.

"That's not important. What's the business with you and Q?"

"Nothing. We're friends."

"Uh-huh."

"I'm being serious, Calvin."

"I believe you."

"Good." I nodded, moving around him and going to my room to get a jumpstart on my homework.

I placed my backpack on my bed, pulling out my science book, and took a seat. Starting to take notes only to get distracted by thinking of Calvin's comments.

Was I really spending that much time with Q that we looked like something more than we were?

What was the difference between Q and all of the other guys I associated with on the daily?

I shook my head at my thoughts as I tapped my pen against my notebook. I came to the conclusion that my brother was simply just being my brother, and his words meant nothing.

Quincy was a nice guy and I was perfectly fine being just his friend.

I wasn't going to let myself overthink a friendship. Lord knows I'd spiral out of control if I did.

Quincy was just one person out of the many I spent my time with.

Or at least that's what I thought at the time.

🖤

It wasn't long after that when the girls started to get suspicious in their own right about what was going on with me, and the boy they claimed had all my attention.

Quincy and I's conversations managed to go past study hall and walks home were transferring over to speaking every time we saw each other in the halls.

"You really talk too much," I told him, trying to fight a smile, as I walked through the door he opened for me.

The dismissal bell had rung and everyone was making their way out of the building.