Chapter XXXII: Touching the Sky - Part 2

[Serana's POV]

With my eyes closed, Remus and I passed through the portal inside the wayshrine.

That... wasn't as unpleasant as I thought it would be. Kind of soothing actually... I feel... a little warmer.

This new cave section was dark but glowing mushrooms lit up a path.

I looked at Remus. I'm not sure if he's wearing a stern face because I talked a bit too much earlier or he's just squinting because he couldn't see.

I wanted to ask him if he needed help in carrying the ewer, but I decided against it. Somehow, his remark from earlier still ticked me off.

I trust his judgment more than anyone else... and it was sound and logical, but his actions is just giving me an impression that... he wants to get rid of me.

What irritates me is the fact that I'm sure it wasn't his purpose at all.

I'm the problem.

I'm just too scared.

Too scared to be cast aside once all of this is over.

I shook my head. It's too painful thinking about what the future may hold... I'd better focus at the present.

"Are you okay?" I heard Remus' voice resound over my thoughts.

"Yeah, I'm fine what's it to you?" I replied sharply.

Damn it, I let my mouth run again! I didn't mean to say that!

I briefly glanced at Remus. He still had that serious look on his face as we walked on. I felt my blood pumping nervously.

What if he hates me if I keep this up?

"Wait, there's something ahead. Can you take a look for me?" Remus requested. "Still, do it silently. I'm not sure what it is... I can't see clearly."

Nevermind, he's still oblivious.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts.

Alright Serana. Just focus on the task at hand for now.

I slowly paced ahead of Remus to see what he's talking about. Once in position, I looked on ahead.

Just... what is that thing? I snuck back to Remus before reporting, "It looks like a sac... of some sort."

Remus clicked his tongue. "Looks like you'd be seeing the twisted Falmer sooner than expected."

"What do you mean?"

"That sac you're talking about... It's an insect pod of a chaurus." Remus explained.

"C-Chaurus?" I stuttered. I read about them from a book about huge insects once as a kid. There were also depictions of what the Chaurus looked like.

And they were nowhere near pretty. I felt the hairs stand at the back of my neck just thinking about them.

"Yeah. They're usually domesticated by the Falmer. If the Chaurus are here, then we're probably on Falmer territory."

"W-Wait." I held my hand up. "If they're Falmer, they're close to what Gelebor looks like... right?"

For a second, I saw a cheeky grin across Remus' face before he replied, "Yeah... I guess they're pretty close..."

"I-I see..."

Still, why am I getting a bad feeling about this?

"Although," Remus placed down the ewer before equipping his bow, "The Falmer are blind, but to make up with that disadvantage, they have a stronger sense of hearing and smell than many other creatures." He passed the ewer to me.