Chapter XXXIX: A Tale of Swords

"All right, I have to go." Serana sat up, preparing to leave the bed.

"Do you really have to?" Remus asked as he grabbed Serana's arm, refraining her from getting up the bed.

"Yeah, I should." Serana laughed softly. "I have to check up on her."

"Why?" he asked lazily, his face buried in a pillow.

"Won't she be a little alarmed once she realizes she's not home?" Serana answered.

"Come on, she probably won't wake up this early."

"I still have to check how she's doing. You should sleep some more." the vampiress chuckled again. "Don't worry we still have a lot to talk about later."

Remus turned before smiling rather amorously. "Yeah? Like what?"

Serana looked back at Remus sinisterly. "Hmmm... I don't know. Something about... a certain village in Hjaalmarch?"

Remus' eyes slightly widened in surprise, making Serana smirk.

"Or the up and coming village near Pelagius farm?" she added before inching her face towards him.

Taken aback, Remus responded, "How did you even—" then he shook his head and buried his face in his pillow again. "Nevermind." the man grumbled. "You're probably right. Maybe you should go check on her."

"You're not getting away from this. You know that, right?" Serana teased.

Remus suddenly shifted positions before pulling Serana back to bed.

He kissed the vampiress on the cheek before lying in a supine position, facing the other way.

"H-Hey!"

"Go on now." Remus answered. His body slightly vibrated in a snicker. "She'd miss you."

At first, Serana just shot him a glare but after a few moments her eyes suddenly widened upon coming to a realization. She slightly tapped Remus' arm.

"Hey. Get up."

The only response she got was a low groan from beneath a pillow.

"I said get up." Serana asserted as she pinched his arm this time.

Remus turned his face towards her before replying in a voice starting to be laced with sleep, "What?"

"Shouldn't it be you the first one she sees?" Serana asked in slight worry.

"It really wouldn't matter. Sissel has always been good with people as far as I remember." Remus slurred before burying his face in a pillow again.

"But—"

Remus raised his hand before using it to flip Serana away.

The vampiress clicked her tongue – a little tempted to get back at him with a bite on his muscular arm... but of course, that wouldn't be the brightest of ideas.

She sighed before lifting herself off the bed. She actually wanted to stay a little longer with Remus and ask him all about the adventures written in the book (among other things), but the little girl would probably be agitated if she woke up alone.

Thinking this, Serana shook her head and smiled.

She's grown soft. But she doubts that this change is for the worse.

Serana cautiously entered the bedroom, peeking over the bed to check if Sissel's already awake.

Of course, she's sleeping. Serana wanted to hit herself. It's even too early for her to be waking up any time soon, what is she being cautious for?