Chapter XV: The Soul Cairn - Part 3

Remus held Valerica by the arm as he dragged her to the stairs leading to the castle ruins, away from the door where Serana went in. As soon as they've arrived at the stairs' edge, the vampire matriarch yanked her arm free.

"You might be my daughter's "protector", but I must say your actions are quite barbaric." Valerica commented, her brows furrowed.

"I don't care about all that! What if she heard you?!" Remus chided.

"So I was right. She doesn't know."

Remus gritted his teeth as he refused to look at Valerica eye-to-eye. "How did you even know anyway?"

"As I've told you before, my senses are rather... exceptional. They may even surpass Harkon's in that regard." Valerica scoffed. "How long do you think I've been around anyway?" The vampire matriarch brought her lips closer to Remus's ear before whispering, "I know werewolf blood when I smell one."

Remus instinctively stepped back. He was already fuming with rage when Valerica started to chuckle.

"Oh, please. Calm down, werewolf boy. I won't tell her your secret. I'm just teasing." she reassured him. Remus took a deep breath yet he refused to stop being wary. "Although, that explains the strength I sense from you. The uncanny mix of a wolf and a dragon... very interesting."

"Oh? So you can sense "strength" now, too?" Remus sarcastically answered.

"Might as well call it my instincts. They were screaming 'danger' when you tried to harm me before. If it weren't for the barrier..."

"So, what do you want from me?" Remus cut off. Valerica cleared her throat.

"Answers. I have two simple questions."

Remus remained silent, indicating her to go on.

"I take it you agree." Valerica confirmed, her expressions getting dark. "First... how did you get in here? In the Soul Cairn?"

"There's thing about Serana partially soul-trapping me..."

"So, she put what I taught her to use? Impressive." Valerica smiled. "Although, that's strange... I expected that she'll offer you her blood."

"You mean offered to become a vampire? Well, she did that, too..."

A rather devious smile escaped form Valerica's lips. "I see." She seemed very content with Remus's answer. "So, why didn't you take her offer? And before you think of coming up with another sly answer, I want the truth.

Remus clicked his tongue in annoyance. After a rather somber atmosphere, Remus answered. "Of course. I don't know what could happen if she drinks my blood."

The vampire matriarch scoffed. "Of course, her pure blood will purge that filth running through your veins."

"Filth, huh?" Remus sarcastically replied. "This may be filth, sure. Yet, it must be very extra-ordinary if I haven't even thought of that. Know what I mean?"

Easily comprehending the mortal's snide remark, Valerica put her chin on a finger, putting things to thought. "I see. Very interesting. Your blood..." A slight hesitation made her pause. "No. Nevermind. Do not worry, I wouldn't tap you any longer about... that blood yours. I already discovered what I needed to know. " She looked at Remus.

"As for my second and last question... why keep this a secret from her?" Valerica questioned intently.

With a deep breath and in somewhat a condescending tone, Remus replied, "That's simple. I'm scared." With a sigh he continued in a defeated smile. "I'm just... scared of what could happen if she knows. I normally wouldn't care but... I don't know."