Chapter XL: Her First Adventure

Lamae Beolfag. A name all vampires knew.

She was the first – the Blood Matron. Serana knew about her story... and the atrocities she's done.

She examined the book. It looks pretty old – the cover and pages looking worn and all, as if it had been produced ages ago. She flipped back to the title page once more.

The Tragedy of Lamae Beolfag.

Is this book about the generic story about how she became the first vampire? Does 'tragedy' mean as the unfortunate event when she was chosen by Molag Bal?

Static.

There it is again.

Serana felt her ears ringing, the same way they did when she fought Vyrthur. She closed her eyes and gritted her teeth as she cupped her head throbbing in pain.

You... you have to try.

"Lady Serana? I'm about to finish up here." Jordis' voice rang from the other room, startling the vampiress. Her eyes flashed open before scanning the room.

That voice... what was that?

She instantly closed the book and placed it on a discernible spot for later before calling back, "I'm almost done, too!"

Serana carried on with her chores but this time, those words... and that voice... they scratched at the back of her mind.

What was that? It probably meant nothing but, she felt as if she's forgetting something... very important.

With a pause, her eyes darted off back at the book.

After a few minutes, Jordis came over to help her with dusting the few remaining books. Once they were all done, both of them ascended back to the manor. The housecarl gave Serana her thanks before turning to leave.

"Uh, Jordis?"

Jordis turned her head with slight confusion. "Yes?"

"Remus had quite... a unique collection of books down there. Where did they come from?"

Jordis paused for a moment in thought. "The Thane mostly collected his books through his quests and adventures, or maybe gifts... but most of the books in the cellar were from the College if I remember correctly."

"Oh, okay..." Serana answered a little hesitantly. "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"Hmmm... I have business back near the capital of Dawnstar." Jordis answered as she crossed her arms.

"Maybe I could come with—"

"I don't think that'll be a good idea." the housecarl interjected albeit with a genuine smile on her face. "I reckon you take a rest for a while. Don't push yourself too much."

She paused with a smile before turning to make her way out. "I've also prepared something for you inside the small larder at the kitchen. I'll see you later."

"Okay... thanks? I'll... I'll see you later." Serana stuttered as she ran out of words in uncertainty.

What did Jordis mean with 'something'? All she could do was watch as Jordis disappeared from the front door.

Serana in turn picked up the book she left on the table at the main hall as her eyes scanned the manor.

Seems like Remus and the little girl were taking their time outside. The vampiress made her way to the bedroom upstairs and placed the book back on one of the shelves.