Chapter XLVI: The Blood Matron

Remus woke up a little late the next morning. He knew so because the air was already a little warm, unlike the usual chill he gets whenever he wakes up in the morning. Maybe he's wrong - after all, it has been a while since he last slept at Heljarchen Hall.

He expected no Serana beside him, since it was already so late. She might be already out with the little Sissel practicing magic, among other things.

But, to his surprise, she was just right there – her arms wrapped around him, her face buried on his chest. Remus found it adorable how light snores would escape her lips, her face looked free from worry which wasn't exactly a sight he sees most of the time when they're together – and he could only hope that she stays just like this.

Her body lacked warmth, but the feeling of her skin against his was enough to make him feel warm inside. He gently stroked stray hair from her face before kissing her forehead. She moaned a little, still deep in sleep, before tightening her embrace even further.

Absolutely endearing.

Now that he's thinking about it, she almost always doesn't need a good night's sleep. When was the last time Serana actually enjoyed sleep?

After a moment, Serana slowly opened her eyes. Still a little dazed from sleep, her eyes sluggishly scanned the room before looking up to Remus and giving him a groggy smile.

"Good morning..."

Just the sheer sight of her was enough to make Remus' blood leap.

"What's wrong? Your heart suddenly started beating faster..." Serana muttered as she placed her ear just right above his chest.

"No, it's probably nothing. Maybe it's just picking up since we just woke up..." Remus replied, trying to avoid eye contact as much as possible.

Serana's hands held his face before pulling it closer to hers.

"Come here." She whispered, before giving him a light kiss.

"Is there something wrong?"

"No, nothing." She replied softly. "I'm just glad you're home."

Remus smiled. "Me, too."

"What time is it anyway?"

"No idea. But I'm pretty sure the sun has risen."

"You think it's time for breakfast?" Serana muttered lazily.

"Can't say." Remus smiled. "All right, time to get up. They might be wondering why we're not down yet." Remus mused as he started getting up. Suddenly, he was gently pulled back by the vampiress.

"5 more minutes."

She snuggled her head even deeper unto his chest, her arms wrapped tightly against his torso.

He missed this. The small talks they do, with no hint of worry – he missed the faint yet familiar and feminine scent of Serana's skin. While her body lacks that mortal warmth, she never fails to make him feel at home with just her presence.

However, there's still this one thing he wanted to ask. He remembered that time - that incident at Pinewatch. When he first saw them .

The scars that riddled her back.

Suddenly, Serana heaved a sigh.

"What's wrong?" Remus asked.

"Hey, don't they bother you?"

"What do you mean?"

"I meant these ... on my back."