Chapter XXXV: Touching the Sky - Part 5

"Come on, it isn't as 'bony' as you make it out to be!" Serana laughed as she looked over Remus.

"A-Are you sure?" Remus asked as his hand subconsciously went over his private parts.

The undead horse Arvak gave off an ethereal neigh, as if to reassure him.

After spending the night and doing a bit a scouting the next day, it was realized that they're in the middle of nowhere once they've crossed that massive lake – wherever the prelate of the previous shrine was pointing at, he definitely meant somewhere very far off.

Upon this realization, Serana remembered about the spectral horse she'd gotten through their quest in the Soul Cairn, something that would make their travel relatively faster than on foot.

Remus was having a little bit of an issue with this, given that he's a guy riding a skeleton horse.

"Yes, I'm sure." Serana rolled her eyes, starting to get annoyed with the man's fussiness. "It feels exactly like riding a living horse. There's no difference at all. Trust me."

Remus looked at Serana, then at the spectral horse, then at Serana again.

"Yeah, I don't think this is gonna work." he replied. "I think I'm just gonna walk."

"—And spend maybe hours on our way? No way." she chided. "You're getting on, whether you like it or not."

"Really? How're you gonna make me then?"

Serana gave him a warm smile before getting off Arvak. The same smile didn't vanish even as she started cracking her hands.

The next thing Remus knew was he was riding the horse (Serana was right about how it felt), with Serana just behind him.

Arvak was sturdy much to his surprise. He even thought about the possibility of the horse's whole frame collapsing since it was two of them riding it – not even considering the fact that they had bags (however small), but that doesn't seem to be the case after all.

The rays of the early morning sun couldn't pass through the thick clouds as snow fell lightly in the Forgotten Vale, which was favorable to Serana as they traveled in an open field – save the occasional terrain.

"You know, I never knew about how you could summon the undead from the Soul Cairn." Remus suddenly said to break the ice.

"Well, I just kind of developed it sometime after we left the place. I'm not quite sure how, but maybe it's because my body has been attuned to it." Serana explained, "—It's pretty much the same with summoning Arvak."

"Wait a minute, so you had that access every necromancer who went to the Soul Cairn has been yearning for?"

"I guess." Serana shrugged, "It's not that hard. Or maybe it's because that soul taught me how to summon Arvak so I had basis in developing the spells."

Remus laughed, "Your mom's going to be pissed you managed to do it so easily."

"I bet she will." The vampiress just smiled coyly. Then a question hit her mind. "Say, do you know about that creature we saw the other day?"

"Which one?"

"The big, troll-looking one? Or a giant?"

"Oh..." Serana felt Remus' body shudder a little bit. "You mean the Frost Giant?"

"Yeah, that one! What exactly are they?"

"They're basically giants... but a lot stronger. They could even cast ice storms around them! Not to mention the persistence..."