Chapter XXX: Scum's Wish

[Serana's POV]

...Why is this bed so comfortable?

...Wait- too comfortable.

I steadily got up, my eyes half-open, as I cupped my head with my hand. I wasn't exactly feeling unwell but for some reason my head kind of hurts. Maybe I'm still feeling groggy from my sleep.

I tried to recount what happened last night, but I was distracted.

There's something off with the place's smell.

I sniffed again.

This isn't the house back in Pinewatch.

Removing my hand, I looked around. I'm in a place I'm not familiar with. Although, it has a relatively better than the setting at Pinewatch.

Suddenly, the door opened as Remus entered the room.

Once he saw me sitting up on the bed, he gave me a warm smile.

"Oh, good. You're awake." He said as he walked towards where I'm at. He pulled up a chair near the bed and sat down. "Are you feeling better?"

"Yeah... I think..." I reluctantly replied. My eyes darted across the room once again. "Where are we?"

"At Lakeview Manor, here at Falkreath Hold." Remus replied. He stared at me for a few seconds. "Are you feeling fine now?"

"Yeah, a little bit." I answered. "I was having a headache earlier... but it's subsiding."

There was a short silence before Remus spoke up. He was a little fidgety.

"So... what happened?"

Since my headache was lesser by the minute, I started trying to remember again.

"Well... I was out hunting, right?" I explained, "Once I was done, I went back to Pinewatch. But- "

I tried to remember what happened next, "– before I was able to reach the door, I... I felt hungry... thirsty rather, which was strange because I just had my fill..."

I paused. "Last thing I remember was... passing out next to the door..."

I looked back at Remus. He was listening to me intently, like he was expecting me to say more. Then, he let out a big sigh, "Well, how are you feeling now? Still... thirsty?"

"Surprisingly, no." I answered, "I'm actually feeling fuller than I ever was since I woke up at that cave..."

Remus seemed a little surprised with my reply. Then his face softened up into a smile.

"That's good to hear." He reached out to pat my head. I couldn't help but smile as I felt the warmth of his hand.

"I was worried. I'm glad you're okay." he said before standing up. "I still think you should rest. There's food downstairs in case you need something to eat. There are books too if you want to read. I'll be outside."

"What are you going to do?"

Remus paused to think. "Well, you see... I've sent my housecarl away. So, there's only two of us here."

I swallowed thickly.

Just... the two of us?

"But of course, there are things that need doing around here. I have to do the chores."

"Then let me—"

He raised his hand. "No. You said you had a subsiding headache, right? It's better if you just stay inside the house and rest until your headache's gone. It's near noon so going outside won't help you."