Chapter XXVI: Can't Help It

[Remus' POV]

It's morning. The rays of the sun emerging from the horizon is left to be seen. The sleep from last night was the longest I had in quite some time. Still wouldn't call it a good sleep though.

I could never have a good sleep.

I did a little bit of stretching before walking to Windstad village, to old man Valdimar's Blacksmith shop. As usual, I had a hood on provided by my cloak. I didn't bother wearing a mask, the chilly yet fresh air this early in the morning is too good to pass on.

I lowered my head and buried it deeper into my hood as I passed through the group of workers on their way to the mines. Fishermen were also preparing to head out into the deeper part of the river. I even overheard some of them would be venturing out close to the Sea of Ghosts to the north.

I looked left and right before entering the blacksmith shop and locking the door.

When I removed my hood, I saw the old man looking at me. His lips curled into an annoying sneer. "You're too paranoid. Ditched the mask?"

"I need fresh air in the morning. Besides, you have no idea what I had to go through back in Morthal." I replied with distaste as I removed my cloak and placed it on a chair. I walked over to the old man as he tended to the armor workbench.

"So, how is it?" I asked.

"It's almost done." The old man remarked. "It might take a while... but I'll finish before noon."

"Noon, huh..." I pondered. Wouldn't hurt to stay for just a couple of hours. "Yeah, that'll do."

"You should treat your armor properly, you brat." I heard the old man mutter.

"Hey... I don't sleep with armor on like I used to. Besides what's the use of armor if it wouldn't take any hits?" I defended. The old man didn't seem to care about the rebuttal. I leaned over to see what he's working on.

"I hope you like the color." he said. The black chainmail stayed as is, but the color of the cuirass switched from crimson red into a dark shade of grey. Corners of the cuirass were still painted with dark red.

"You should throw in the stupid scarf."

"What?"

Valdimar pointed at the tattered scarf around my neck.

"It had always been with you ever since, hasn't it? Hand it over."

I almost had to step back subconsciously because of my hesitation. But, the old man just gave me a warm smile.

"Just hand it over. I know how important it is to you. I'll fix it. I'd be careful, don't worry."

I gulped hard before slowly taking off my scarf. I carefully placed it to his hands. In turn, he carefully folded it and placed it unto a nearby barrel to the workbench.

He took one look at me before his face contorted into a scowl.

"What are you gawking at? Of course, I have to finish your armor first. The scarf comes later."

"What? Then why did you—" I was cut short with the pounding of the hammer at the workbench.

"Just take a hike, you brat. You're in the way of my work!" the old man yelled as he worked on the armor. "I'll have these delivered to the manor, along with your swords from yesterday. Iona would be picking up her sword later, too."

I just stood in confusion behind the old man, when the sounds of the hammer stopped. He turned around then raised his hammer, acting like he's going to throw it at me.