Bonus Chapter: Never Forget

"STAY BACK, REMUS!"

Rayla grunted as she fought off the men invading their tent, trying to get their hands on the boy.

Remus watched in horror as he watched dead bodies pile up at their doorway as the aggressors were cut down by his mother.

One huge man swung his great sword at his mother, who immediately blocked the attack with her own sword.

The two of them clashed for a while and Rayla struggled against him. Midway, the brute disarmed Rayla with a big swing.

With a devilish grin, he raised his weapon. The woman refused to back down as she drew a dragger from her sleeve. With a war cry, she was about a lunge at the brute when all of a sudden, a sword protruded out of her opponent's chest. As it slid back, Remus saw a familiar face as the huge man dropped dead.

It was his aunt, Eisana.

"Thanks." Rayla nodded at her sister as she proceeded to pick up her sword.

"Rayla, what madness is this?" Eisana glowered as she looked out of the tent to see if there are any more aggressors.

"It's—It's Thorvang. To think that – " Rayla's explanation was cut short as she hesitantly looked at Remus. She then proceeded to go closer to Eisana to whisper... out of Remus's earshot.

After hearing her sister out, Eisana snapped in dismay. "The bastard! How... how can he even...?!" She stared at the boy's face. "He's his son! What is he thinking?!"

Rayla just shook her head. "Before anything else, we have to get him out of here. I've already asked for his help. He's due west." She relayed more details to Eisana while packing up. After properly hoisting a scabbard on her belt, she turned to Eisana. "Can you give me a moment?"

Eisana nodded in agreement before standing guard at the doorway, occasionally looking outside.

"Remus... listen. We're going to leave. Now. We're gonna go... find some place safe..." she softly whispered while stroking the boy's red hair.

"W-what—"

"Shhh..." Rayla hushed. "This is what's going to happen. Your aunt Eisana will take care of you. She'll take you somewhere safe."

"B-but..."

"Remus... you love mother, right?"

Shyly, the boy nodded in response.

"Then can you do me a favor?"

Seemingly hesitant, the boy nodded again. Rayla smiled.

"Can you cover your eyes until all of this is over?" she said, holding out a piece of cloth.

"Why?"

"Just... trust me." Rayla smiled once more, her blue eyes gleaming as she patted down the boy's head. "Nothing bad would happen if you did."

"You swear?"

"I swear." Rayla gave a short nod and indicated Remus to cover his eyes. Still uncertain, the boy did as he was told.

Breathing out a sigh of relief, Rayla got back up and turned towards her sister before giving her a nod of confirmation. Eisana then walked towards Remus and stood beside him, an arm around his back.

"It's going to be fine, kid." Eisana reassured the boy.

Once they were out of the tent, they stealthily made their way through the edges of the huge camp, towards the nearest exit.

Unlucky sentinels who were on their way got their throats slit by Rayla.

Everything was going good for them so far. They were crouching behind some barrels as Rayla scouted Thorvang's sentinels patrolling the camp.