Chapter XXIV: An Old Friend

Remus wandered into a small village near Windstad Manor. He made sure his face was properly concealed and walked cautiously, but not so much as to not draw attention. Patrolling guards was wary of him, but fortunately, they didn't bother investigating him.

Workers were already leaving the mines and their hearty laughter echoed in the wind as they made their way to a nearby tavern to drink.

Remus stopped right in front one of the buildings. He took a deep breath before going in.

"Oh? Back so soon?" Valdimar greeted Remus as soon as the latter stepped inside the blacksmith quarters.

"Yeah. It was... settled quickly." Remus answered glumly. The housecarl watched the man slowly drag himself to a nearby chair in total silence.

"The blacksmith from Solitude did a decent job. Although, I'd have to make a few adjustments." Valdimar remarked as he scrutinized Remus's swords.

Remus responded with a small grunt. Valdimar looked behind his back and saw the man brooding in his chair, just behind a small table.

"Something wrong?" Valdimar asked as he cooled down the weapons on a nearby barrel of water.

Remus looked up at the Housecarl from the edge of his seat. He tried to say something but ultimately decided against it. "No, nothing."

"Hmp, you think I don't know you, boy?" the housecarl laughed as he approached a nearby larder to get a few bottles of Nord mead. "I'm sorry. I meant, my thane." he joked, with an emphasis to the title.

"Gods, that's really nauseating." Remus briefly smiled.

The housecarl pulled a chair close to Remus and placed the bottles on the table. He quickly sat down on his own seat.

"You're hurting my feelings, boy. You show up suddenly, no stories or greetings even... you drop off your swords and you just... scurry off." Valdimar glowered as he opened a bottle of the Nord mead.

"We haven't even drunk anything and we're already talking about feelings?" Remus insinuated.

The old man pounded his fist on the table before bringing his face closer to Remus's face. "Oh, be careful when you talk to your elders, boy..." his brows were still contorted into a scowl.

Remus smiled nervously. "Geez, old man. Calm down!" Putting the old man into a foul mood made him uncomfortable. They weren't related and his status is definitely higher than his. But, this housecarl has become somewhat of a father-figure to him. Especially during the times in his self-exile.

Valdimar suddenly burst into laughter. "Hah! I'm just kidding! Though, I could still feel something unpleasant coming from you." He plopped down his chair. "So, what's up with you, boy? Why so sullen?"

Remus looked at the housecarl. His eyes were serious, and he seemed eager to listen. Telling him that he doesn't want to talk about it would just lead into another argument. An argument he knows he already lost. The old man can be very persuasive.

The wise decision is to just tell him.

"I... I don't know where to start."

"Hm. Then let's start with where you just came from... before you got back here." Valdimar urged as he passed over a bottle of mead.

"I was at a bandit camp. Southwest of here." Remus responded.

"Still bounty hunting?"

"No, this was different. I was doing some work... for the Dawnguard." The young man explained as he drank a little.