Chapter XLIII: Things to Settle

Just an hour after passing out from magicka deprivation, Sissel woke up to the smell of something... delicious?

"Rest well?" a gentle voice suddenly asked. It was Serana, sitting at the foot of her bed. The distracting smell was coming from a bowl of soup atop the corner table beside her.

"Yeah, I think." Sissel sat up.

"Eat up." Serana muttered as she gestured at the bowl.

The smell was tempting but Sissel had something different in mind. "We're carrying on with the lessons, right?"

"No, you're going to eat your soup and rest some more."

Sissel tried to pout her way out into getting more lessons but Serana was hardly even looking as she was completely focused on yet another book.

With a sigh, the little girl half-heartedly reached for the soup. Scooping hastily, she placed a spoonful in her mouth.

"How was it?" Serana was quick to ask despite her eyes remaining locked on the book.

"It's okay." The girl nonchalantly replied.

Suddenly, the vampiress slammed the book shut. "Okay? Just okay? But I followed the instructions by the book!"

"Yeah. But I'm tasting nothing special." Sissel added before stuffing another spoonful in her mouth.

"...You keep eating it though..."

After finishing her soup, Sissel continuously begged Serana to carry on with the lessons, but the latter insisted that she needed to rest. Giving up, she resorted in asking technical questions related to magic instead.

Despite the continuous barrage of questions, the vampiress felt obliged to answer even if she's known to like her peace and quiet, especially now that she's holding a book.

This continued for hours at end, until it was but a few hours until sunset.

Suddenly, the sound of doors opening at the entry way was heard. This startled Sissel since they were both settled at the second floor.

"Who was that...? I don't think it's Jordis..." Sissel asked in a hushed tone albeit a little alarmed.

Serana calmly closed her book. "I have an idea. Let's go."

The vampiress was first to exit the room with the little girl huddling up behind her.

"What are you acting so scared for?" Serana chuckled.

"I... I don't like strange noises."

The very moment both of them reached the ground floor, Serana was tackled by a big creature startling Sissel.

"Meeko!" Serana called, giggling as she stroked the dog's mane. "How've you been, boy?"

The dog barked happily in response.

"I didn't know you were here, my Lady." A deep voice greeted from the entry way.

"How's the hunt, Gregor?" Serana smiled in response.

"It was good, very good! I brought some game, just right outside. Three stags, some mudcrabs, wolves..." he gave the dog a warm look. "Wouldn't have gotten that much if it wasn't for this mutt."

"A doggy!" Sissel suddenly exclaimed as she eyed the dog. Meeko curiously sniffed at the girl before allowing himself to be held. He also gave her a playful lick.

"That tickles!" she laughed. "I didn't know you have a doggy!"

The housecarl scratched his head before giving Serana a look. "Who's she?"