Chapter VIII: Stories to Tell

"You're... married...?" Serana asked Remus, her eyes wide with shock. She tried to stop her hands from trembling, but they just wouldn't.

Remus, surprised with Serana's question, was taken a back. He looked directly in the woman's eyes before laughing, almost close to hysteria.

"What?! No!" Remus laughed continuously as Serana watched him in confusion, which eventually led to a moment of serenity, then into annoyance because he's been laughing for a full minute. The blonde woman just stared at them in bewilderment.

Remus seemed to calm down as he cleared his throat. "Anyway, time for the introduction." He gestured towards the blonde-haired woman.

"This is Jordis. My housecarl." The woman just bowed her head in recognition. She didn't speak a single word, or honored Remus like a typical housecarl. "She previously lived in my house in Solitude, but I appointed her as my steward here." Remus grinned.

Serana didn't seem too surprised upon learning Remus has another house in Skyrim. The fact that this man is rich and prestigious, even if he doesn't look like it, was starting to grow on her. She turned to face the housecarl. "Nice meeting you." she smiled. Jordis did too in response, she bowed her head once more.

"I am sorry for surprising you. I never thought my Thane would be home. He's been gone for a while." Jordis explained. Like Dexion, she was soft-spoken.

"No, it's okay. I'm Serana by the way." Serana smiled and reached her hand out to Jordis, which the latter accepted. The vampiress took a glance on the housecarl's dress. "It's just... I assumed that housecarls are clad in armor at all times."

"Oh this?" Jordis slightly tugged on her clothes. "Forgive me. I was on a meeting with the Jarl of Dawnstar regarding a plan of building a farm on a plot of land west of here. The Jarl particularly requested that I wear something more 'womanly'." she said with emphasis.

Remus clicked his tongue in annoyance. "Skald the Elder. Perverted oldbag. He probably just wants you out of your armor. Don't listen to him next time." Remus then circled the woman, as if examining her. "Though, I have to admit. It suits you, Jordis." After hearing Remus's words, Serana felt a tinge of irritation.

"Thank you, my Thane." Jordis said apathetically. "I have to prepare the house for your stay, so if you'll excuse me." The housecarl bowed once more before going upstairs.

"So, married, huh?" Remus teased as he advanced towards Serana, yet the latter seemed unfazed.

"What? With a beautiful woman like that, why wouldn't I think that?" Serana retorted, looking straight into the man's eyes with conviction.

"Jealous?"

"Why would I be?"

Remus had nothing, so he scratched his head while looking at Serana's smug smile before continuing. "Anyway, there's a bed upstairs. Although Jordis might still be preparing it. The bath's upstairs too." he instructed, motioning towards the north wing.

Serana crossed his arms, the smug smile not leaving her face. "And the west-wing?" she questioned.

Remus furrowed his brows to Serana's inquiry.

"Closed." he firmly said before making his way for the front door.

"Where are you going?" Serana asked as her eyes followed the man's figure to the entry way.

"Going to find my other housecarl, Gregor. Man must be out hunting." Remus shouted back to Serana at the Main Hall before disappearing through the front door.

Serana just stared at the front door where the man just vanished for at least five seconds before letting out a big sigh. She smiled to herself, the heavy feeling in her chest washed away after the previous encounter. She wouldn't admit it but knowing that he wasn't married gave her a sense of relief.