Chapter XXXVIII: New Era, New Hero

It was a little late in the night when the two were greeted by a surprised Jordis once they've arrived at Heljarchen Hall.

The housecarl was already wearing a nightgown and seemed to be preparing for sleep. Remus didn't ask for Gregor because he'd assumed that he's either sleeping in his room or camping in the wilds.

Jordis looked at the child carried by Serana – her eyes seemed to look for answers.

Remus shot her a look before saying, "The keys."

The housecarl's eyes glistened, as if she already knew what he was talking about. She hurriedly went up the stairs to fetch the said keys.

Remus lead Serana, who's still carrying the little girl in her arms, towards the West Wing. The child was unconscious, but she clung on to her very tightly, taking fistfuls of her cloak as they were wrapped around her.

Serana wasn't one for children. She didn't exactly like them nor hate them. After all, she didn't even have any remote experience in with children, more so handling them. Hell, she might even be the youngest in the Volkihar court.

She really didn't know how she'd deal with the child she's currently carrying. She even worried if she's carrying her properly, but the little girl seemed comfortable enough... despite her current condition.

She found it a little strange too – holding the girl and the way she clung back – it pulled on her heartstrings more than she cared to admit.

She stared at Remus.

He looked... tense.

Serana couldn't figure out if it's because he was worrying about the girl's condition or because he's tired. Maybe it's both.

Or maybe what happened earlier... somehow triggered painful memories of his.

Sometimes Serana wished things were as simple as opening up his head and looking inside just so she'll know what he's actually thinking.

Once they stood in front of closed doors, the vampiress swallowed thickly.

The forbidden room.

"You're finally showing it to me?" Serana teased before chuckling softly.

"Yeah. It's a kids' bedroom." Remus answered awkwardly, but his voice remained on low register. The vampiress was a little surprised that he answered rather bluntly.

More importantly, his answer piqued her curiosity. Why would he have a kids' bedroom in his house when he doesn't even have any kids? Does he...

"Were you planning to have kids?" Serana asked.

"Not really." Remus answered as if scoffing. "It's just... I-I don't recall."

He turned to face Serana. "I'm going to check the alchemy lab."

"For?"

"I'll try to make her something... something that'll help with the pain."

Serana stared at him. It was clear that he looked extremely tired, there were even dark circles forming under his eyes. Sure, there were times that his sleeping schedule was way-off, but this day is especially grueling for him.

Fighting through hordes of Falmer is no easy feat. She's still wondering just how many he had to fight alone during her encounter with Vyrthur but regardless, he's been through a lot. She doesn't feel the same fatigue as he did thanks to her vampiric blood.

"You should rest. I'll take care of her." Serana smiled before squeezing his hand for a moment. "I could make her something."

"But—"