Chapter VI: Unease

[Serana's POV]

He's still not talking to me.

We rode north west from Ivarstead for half an hour before Remus decided to stop. Ever since I discovered the fact that he was Dragonborn, he wouldn't utter a single word. I tried calling out to him while we rode but he just straight up ignored me.

After seeing a good spot for camp, a space beneath some rock formations which may serve as our shelter, Remus dismounted from his horse and began to unpack.

I followed his lead and asked him if he needed any help, but he just shook his head, not even bothering to look at me.

This is my first time camping outside and I am excited just thinking about it, but my companion's stubbornness is killing the mood. The nerve of this guy, after keeping that kind of secret from me the whole time.

Our camp is a short walk from a forest clearing and a small pond, solving our problem for firewood and potentially, water. Once the bed rolls and our other commodities were set, Remus stood up.

"I'm going to look for firewood. Stay here." He grunted. Well, at least he managed to get some words out of that mouth of his. The silence was deafening, and I didn't like it.

While he gathered the firewood, I scavenged the area for rocks in order to build a fire pit.

A few moments later, we are warming ourselves near the fire... yet neither of us spoke to each other. Calling out to him while we rode earlier was easy, in fact I was doing so over and over again.

But right now, given the ambiance, I found it hard to speak to him. It just feels... so awkward. I glanced at him for a little bit and saw him just looking at the fire in silence.

He'd already removed his hood and mask, and he was just staring at it seemingly in deep thought.

He then shot a glance at me, so I quickly turned away, continuously prodding the fire with a stick I'm holding.

Finally, he let out a big sigh.

"Fine, I'll talk."

Upon hearing that, my eyes glistened, and I proceeded to stare at him intently. He just stared back in visible apprehension.

"What? Start asking." he darkly said, his brows furrowed.

What a bore. I was expecting a long tale coming from him, but I guess the man answering my questions will do. I composed myself and thought... where should I start?

"Who are you exactly?"

"Well, you heard them. I'm... the Last Dragonborn. Know what that means?" he genuinely asked. He probably took into account the fact that I was locked for who knows how long.

I just nodded my head. "You have the power to slay dragons."

Back then, I read scriptures about it. The Dragonborn was a mortal who was born with the blood and soul of a dragon. Records defined him as "The Ultimate Dragonslayer." So that's why his blood smells different, and his strength extraordinary.

"Exactly." Remus assented. "Apparently it was prophesied that by the time Alduin, the World Eater, comes back, the end of times have arrived. Being the Last Dragonborn, apparently, it was my destiny to slay him."

"So, what those people back in Ivarstead said..."

No way. He couldn't have possibly done it.

"Yeah. I did it." He said indifferently, throwing a small stone over at the fire.

"That's- that's amazing!" I exclaimed in amazement. I mean, who wouldn't be? The World Eater was a god-like being and he actually managed to defeat him!