Chapter III : A New Order

It was night when Remus arrived at the entrance of Dayspring Canyon. He was imagining how Isran was going to have his head as he walked through the canyon to Fort Dawnguard. He just joined the Dawnguard but not only did he deliver an important person to the enemy's hands but he's also about to come back empty-handed.

Isran won't be too happy. Despite this, he still can't get Serana out of his mind.

Would she really be okay?

As he drew nearer the fort, he saw a skirmish up ahead.

He initially thought it was a field training of some sort. Then right before his very eyes, the member of the Dawnguard he thought was only sparring... got cut down.

Gritting his teeth, Remus picked up his pace and ran as fast as he could towards the fort, just in time to see that at least a dozen vampires were invading the stronghold. Isran and the other members of the Dawnguard are trying their best to hold them off the fort's doors.

"Hey!" Remus called, catching the aggressors' attention. He drew his swords and charged forward. One vampire prepared to meet him, but Remus easily disposed of him, driving his blades through his body. Vampire blood ran across Remus's blades which slightly raised the Dawnguard's morale.

With Isran taking charge, the defenders started to drive the vampires back. Remus's eyes were emotionless as he started to cull through the vampires' numbers one by one.

The surviving vampires, seeing Remus's onslaught, saw that they have no chance of winning the battle, so one by one, they started to flee. Seeing this, Remus snatched a crossbow from the nearest Dawnguard member and shot two of the fleeing vampires. Unfortunately, one escaped.

"Damn." Remus irritatingly said before shoving back the crossbow on the Dawnguard member's hands. Isran motioned to call for Remus, but he was already running after the escaping vampire with a sudden burst of speed.

The sole vampire survivor was running for the secret passage to Dayspring canyon, another gap on the mountainside. That wasn't part of the plan. A small team was deployed to assassinate the leaders of the Dawnguard. The masters of Volkihar clan thought that it would be best to dispatch the resistance while it's still small.

Who would've thought there was someone in the Dawnguard that strong?

He ran as fast as he could and didn't dare to look back. Just a little bit closer and he would've reached the passage, when he felt a sharp pain on his stomach. He looked down and saw a blade piercing through his body.

"Just where do you think you're going?" A voice behind him blurted out.

It was him.

The mortal who took on scores of his comrades alone. He struggled, but the mortal proved to be far more superior in strength. As his eyes grew blur, he took one last look on his killer.

His eyes were cold as ice and his face showed no emotion.

"You're... you're a monster...!" the vampire spat at the mortal.

"That is rich... coming from a vampire..."

The mortal kicked him from his sword. The vampire watched his slayer's blurry figure walk away as his existence is sent to oblivion.

Upon his return to the fort's terrace, he looked around to see if there were anymore casualties. All vampires were dealt with but two members of the Dawnguard lies dead.

Remus started to sweat profusely and his heart started throbbing.

Why can't he... save everyone?