Chapter XXXVI: Touching the Sky - Part 6

"Do you think he knows we're here?" Remus nonchalantly asked in a whisper, making Serana put a palm over her face.

"We just opened a door right in front of him, so I'm pretty sure he knows." Serana obliged to answer despite the idiotic question.

"Hey, it was a joke." Remus answered defensively upon noticing the vampiress' sarcastic tone. "Just trying to lighten up the mood cause... you know... he's just sitting there... creepily at that..."

"I know." she answered, swallowing thickly. "Let's... just get this over with. But, be wary."

Remus nodded. The two slowly paced towards the throne, Serana taking front with Remus lagging a little bit behind her. His eyes were panning across the area, observing the frozen Falmer and Chaurus alike.

There were at least fifty of them just within the chapel.

If they were unfrozen, they'd be heavily outnumbered.

As they walked, they heard slow claps from Vyrthur.

"Ah, at last. I have visitors." Vyrthur stated rather calmly. Despite his tone, Serana felt a very menacing aura around him.

Without moving from his position, he added dryly, "Did you really come here expecting to claim Auriel's Bow?"

"A little bit, yeah." Remus responded sardonically as he crossed his arms. His eyes squinted as he tried to get a glimpse of Vyrthur's face over the barrier, but to no avail.

"You talk as if you're not aware of the situation you're currently in." Vyrthur responded darkly. "You've done exactly as I predicted and brought your fetching companion to me."

"Wait, is he talking about me?" Serana blurted out.

The Arch-Curate suddenly rose his hand, "Which, I'm sorry to say, means your usefulness is at an end!"

The moment he'd released his snow elf magic, the frozen Chaurus suddenly sprang to life.

Serana immediately drew her sword to cut down a chaurus who was about to attack Remus from behind.

Conjuring a sword, Remus started to attack the unfrozen chaurus along with Serana. But as soon as they're about to put down the last of the insects, they heard Vyrthur speak once more.

"An impressive display, but a wasted effort. You delay nothing but your own deaths!"

A few of the Falmer were suddenly released from their frozen grip, immediately starting an assault on the two.

"Ah, damn it! Just give us the bow, this is getting tiring!" Remus complained as he cut down the Falmer one by one.

"Duck!" Serana warned. Remus, defying his first instinct to look behind him, immediately complied. Serana quickly swung her sword just right above him, cutting one of the Falmers almost in half.

"Thanks." he smirked before turning to face another.

Serana, sword-drawn, pressed her back unto his. "Save the thanks for later. There are still a lot of them left unfrozen."

"Right." Remus smiled. He'd almost lost himself every time when in battle but knowing that somebody's got his back was a feeling Remus felt he'd under-appreciated.

He found some kind of comfort about having Serana near, and that very same comfort covered him as they fought together. But, of course, there was also a layer of caution – the need to make sure that she was safe even if he's very well aware that she's more than capable of fending for herself.

But, this time at least, it's not all caution.

As more of the Falmer gets cut down, the more unease Vyrthur felt. He clenched his fists, "No... I won't let you ruin centuries of preparations!"