Chapter XLI: A Reason to Fight

Silent Moons Camp.

Serana remembered very well. This was the place where Remus committed an atrocity... similar to what she did back at Ancestor Glade.

The atrocity that brought him to self-exile for two years.

Neither said a word as Serana and Remus dismounted Shadowmere at the steps of the camp. There was nothing noteworthy, aside from the stairs that led to a stone dome-like structure which were also surrounded by structures or walls made of stone.

The atmosphere was eerie – and she isn't sure if it's because of the place itself or because she holds the knowledge of what happened here in the past.

"You're pretty quiet." Remus chuckled as he stroked Shadowmere's mane.

Serana paused for a moment as she tried to listen.

His heartbeat's a little bit faster... otherwise, it's normal.

"Well... it's this place..." Serana responded but she couldn't continue as her words eventually died on her tongue.

"Yeah." Remus cast his gaze at the camp and the stone structures. "This place was a bit larger when I was here last. Encampments could rival even that of a small city... the Empire did a good job cleaning it up..."

Serana remained silent as she listened to him talk when Remus turned to head to face her. She saw his eyes soften up before he placed his palm gently on her face and caressed her cheek.

"If you're worried about me, I'm fine. You don't have to look so sad." Remus smiled softly.

The vampiress knew he was telling the truth. This soft and genuine smile of his was something he always seemed to reserve for her.

"I believe you." Serana replied with a smile of her own as she leaned a little on Remus' warm hand. "But... why exactly are we here?"

Withdrawing his hand, Remus paused before he answered, "I... just felt like it. It's the first time I've been here since that happened." he started as he walked around the clearing. "I never really had the courage... I always ran away."

He turned towards Serana with a sheepish grin before reaching out for her hand. "But tonight... I kind of feel... lighter? I just had to try. And maybe... I could finally let go."

He heaved a sigh before beaming. "Guess I was right! I think I could." He gently squeezed her hands before adding, "As long as you're here."

Serana felt her cheeks warming up as she casted her eyes on the ground in embarrassment.

"What's wrong?" Remus asked as the pad of his thumb gently rubbed on the back of her hand.

"N-No, it's nothing!" Serana replied, defensively. She couldn't exactly tell him that simple actions from him could easily make her heart thump vigorously on her chest and she wouldn't dare to meet his eyes as because she's sure they'll bore into hers with the tension between them – a tension that's probably just an imagination of hers.

She casually pulled her hand back as she tried to calm herself. "S-Still... What are we going to do here?"

Remus placed a finger on his chin on thought before grinning. "Well, I did say we're gonna hang out, right? Just sit wherever and I'll be right there."

Serana found a place on the stairs that and sat while Remus walked back to where Shadowmere is. She closed her eyes as she felt the cold but gentle breeze touch her skin.

After a few moments, she heard Remus' footsteps. She opened her eyes and saw the man offering her a bottle.

"What is it?" the vampiress asked.