56

Eva

I freshened up in the bathroom as I talked to Carlos on the other side of the room.

"How did you even find them?" I asked him, hoping to get an answer other than--

"Internet."

I dashed out of the bathroom.

"What!?"

"There's a missing people's page on the internet. I had Luis look at them, that was how he came across yours and Nate's profile."

I moved closer to him,

"Can I see it?" I asked curiously.

He nodded and opened the page on his phone, then showed it to me.

There were old photos of Nate, he must have been 4 at the time,...and then there more of me."

"This still doesn't prove anything." I look up at Carlos, "I don't remember any of those people, I don't even remember taking these photos.." I glanced down at my hands, saying, "I know how this always ends, very soon they are going to find out it was a mistake and then treat us like frauds...I can't have Nate go through that cycle again."

"That won't happen." he assured me.

"Do you have any proof that any of this is truth?"

"I had them tested.." He said.

"DNA test?"

He hummed in response,

"And, it came out positive?"

He hummed again in response.

I was surprised.

"So they are really my grandparents?"

He nodded,

"Your paternal grandparents. Your father was Joe Harry Packer, their only son, and your mother was Hellen Rose Packer, they worked at a cable company in New York. One holiday they got in a car and it crashed."

I stood up and paced around frantically.

"Why don't I remember?" My head was spinning suddenly. I couldn't explain what was happening,

"You and Nate were in the back seat of the car when it happened, and after the accident you suffered a major shock which led to your psychosis, and partial memory loss."

I was in shock.

I always just assumed our parents left us, that was what we were made to believe in all those foster homes,

If any of it is true, why couldn't anyone find us, all these years?

I just burst in tears.

Carlos came and held me as I whimpered bitterly.

Then he pulled away and made me sit.

He went to pour me a glass of water to calm me down and feed it to me, like I was some fragile thing.

I couldn't understand him.

I stop drinking and he took the glass away,

"Why?" I asked, to my dismay, "Why are you being so nice to me? Why aren't you treating me like Scarlett?"

Silence.

"Why is my fate different from Scarlett's?" I added.

He sighed,

"Do you want me to treat you like Scarlett?"

"No, but--"

"Drop it--" He cut in and wandered to take his pills, seeming irritated with me all of a sudden.