Chapter 23

Eva

After a few boxes at the ring, I wiped the sweat off my forehead and made it out to shower. I stripped off my sweaty clothes and stepped into the shower and once the steaming hot water poured on me.

I got lost in the memories of what happened this morning with Carlos. I reminisced the odd way he stared at me before I said those words to him.

I didn't mean them, I had always been accustomed to believe that all kindness came with a price to it or with something attached to it, but perhaps this was different. Perhaps he was different. I ran my hands across my face to remove the water that had pooled itself in my eyes. If I don't stop thinking about him, I might lose my mind. I should focus my attention on freeing Nate and not on him. I shouldn't even be feeling this way about him, it never ends well.

I turned off the shower and stepped out, wrapping the towel tightly around my body, I wore on a loose long shirt and not bothering to dry my hair I made out to the living room.

I checked the time on wall and it was almost past 9. He's usually back early, I wonder what's keeping him late. I walked to the window and peeked, but there was no sign of him, just guards patrolling the area.

I sighed and plopped myself on the couch, deciding to wait for him. I began flipping through the Netflix account, until I stumbled on something very decent to watch. 'Finding Nemo.' I crossed my legs across the couch and relaxed to enjoy the movie.

A few short hours later, I found myself drooling on the couch with the tv still on. I can't even remember what happened in the movie. I heard noises and I turned off the tv and made it upstairs.

I stood outside his door and called his name out, but there was no answer,

"Carlo?" I held the knob and pushed the door open and surprisingly the room was empty. It was at this point that I began to worry, that maybe something must have happened to him.

I rushed over to my room and grabbed my phone on the nightstand, before scrolling through the contacts and finding his, I called but every time, it switched to voicemail.

I threw the phone across the bed and made it out to the stairs. I stumbled myself on it, deciding to wait for him, believing in my heart he would show up. I leaned my head against bars and waited.

I awoke suddenly to light shake to my shoulder, I fluttered my sleepy eyes open to see Carlos peering sofly at me.

I quickly pulled myself into his chest causing him to hiss out in pain, that's when I noticed his bloodied shirt. My eyes widened, "What happened?"

He shook his head as if nothing, "Why aren't you in bed?" he asked.

"You're injured and you're worried about me." I shot back and held him up to his room.

As we enter, he quickly lets go of me and stumbles his way into the bathroom. "I got it." he said and slams the door behind.

He would be insane to think I would leave him alone in this condition.

I stood outside the bathroom door worried, that he might have slumped on the floor and fainted or something, until I heard him scream out in pain,

"Carlos?" I panicked.

"Go to bed Eva." He winced out. I heard the shower turn on and paced around frantically and waited for him to come out.

I stopped pacing as I hear the shower being turned off and the sound of the door being opened and there he was with towel wrapped around his waist and to the corner was a black stitched wound, that must have been painful?