Chapter 29

Eva

Tears fell in my eyes as Antonio left me standing in the hallway, what had I gotten myself into? Who was Carlos?  It suddenly hit me that I didn't know anything about him, aside all the lies he feed me.

I felt so shitty and scared at the same time, I couldn't explain why any of this was happening, but I knew I couldn't stay here, I needed to leave and Now.

Pulling my shit together, I ran towards the room to gather my things. I needed to get the hell out this place, filled with potential criminals.

I rushed into the room and slammed the door and resting my head on it, I thought of a plan.

I couldn't get past the guards with a suitcase, they wouldn't let me pass without informing Carlos. But I could make my way down with nothing and if anyone asks I would say I am going for a walk.

Where was I going to go though? Back to Russo? No, he would have me killed or worse have me sent back here.

I have to focus on getting out first, I quickly ran to the walking closet and threw on a coat and then ransacking through the drawers I grabbed some cash and essentials I needed and slid them into my inside pocket.

"You have gotten through worse Eva, you can do this?" I muttered to myself and then wiping, any trace of tears from my eyes, I tugged myself together and made my way out of the door.

I made my way down the hallway, with my thoughts going crazy and my heart beating like a million drums were banging in my chest.

I could hear voices as I made it down the stairs but  luckily, Carlos and his family were still at the dining table, so they wouldn't notice if I slipped out.

I took a deep breath before walking towards the large front door.

I opened the door shakily and stepped out before closing the door behind me quietly.

As I turned around I felt the breeze hit me and I suddenly realized the implication of what I was doing, what would happen to Nate if I escape? Would I ever be able to free him on my own?

I heard noises and I quickly snapped out of it and walked down the stairs that led to the front yard.

The night was silent and unlike what I had thought there were a few guards roaming around the place.

"I'm just taking a walk." I uttered as I made it past one of them, he was staring at me suspiciously.

"Do you need company?"

"No." I answered and he just nodded, walking towards the opposite direction. I was acting cool and relaxed, while on the inside I was trembling and terrified.

I reached the bottom of the stairs, and looked around me that's when I noticed the red lights of the cameras flashing towards my direction, I quickly fastened my steps and made it towards the front gate.

"Where to ma'am?" A guard standing at the gate asked.

"I'm going to take a walk," I answered, a little nervous.

"Do you need company?"

"I can take care of myself." I lost my temper, it wouldn't take long now before Carlos notices I am gone. I needed to make it out before that happens, "What direction are you heading?"

"This isn't the fucking customs, just let me out." I lashed out and he hesitated for a moment before opening the gate.

I began feeling confident, that I was actually going to get away with this, yes I didn't have a plan afterward but right now it's important to make it through this gate.

This were my thoughts as he began rolling the gate open for me and just as I was about to take my first step,

I heard it.

I heard that voice that I once craved to hear every a single time, but now it just terrified me.

"Eva?" Carlos's voice questioned, in confusion but just as firm as it usually was.

I didn't dare to turn, I just proceeded with the plan but the guard held out his hand, stopping me.

"Eva?"

He repeated my name, getting closer to where I was and I panicked and did the one thing I could think of,

I kicked the guard where the sun doesn't shine and as he groaned out in pain, I made my way through the gate and ran for it, I ran as fast as my feet could take me.

But I didn't make it to the main road as someone stumbled over and knocked me to the hard floor. I hissed and rolled over on the floor in pain,

I looked up from my agony to see Antonio peering at me, "You are very predictable my dear

I looked up from my agony to see Antonio peering at me, "You are very predictable my dear. I knew you would try to escape, so I waited for you and here you are."

That means even if I managed to make it out through the gates without being noticed, I couldn't have gone far because he was already waiting for me.

Tears poured down my eyes.

He stopped down to me and brought his phone to my face,

"Here's a little illustration of what would happen to your brother, if you ever try to escape again." he said, showing me a video of boys about my brother's age getting killed in the battlefield.

More tears poured down my eyes as I watched it, it was horrifying, "How can you be so cruel?" I cried out.

"Trust me, I am as desperate as you are." He placed the phone away and tackled me to my feet as Carlos called out my name, approaching us.

"Behave." He whispered in ear, holding tightly to my arm.

"Hurt a hair on her body and I would blow your brains out." Carlos snarled.

"Smile." Antonio whispered slightly and released his hold on me.

More tears rolled down my cheeks as I stared at Carlos. Just this one time I thought maybe my life would finally be normal,

just this once.

I wanted to be happy.

"Cacciola." He whispered, taking a few more steps towards me and I wanted to run but It was as if my legs were frozen to the floor and I just stood there in tears.

He didn't say another word or question me, he just swooped me into his arms and began walking.

I was too wounded to fight him so I just leaned my head against his chest and began whimpering silently.