Chapter 32

Unedited

Eva

I was staring tearfully out of the window, when I felt a hand shake my shoulders slightly, I quickly wiped my tears and turned to see Carlos, staring at me, worried.

"Hey, I didn't hear you come in?" My voice still soggy.

"Are you okay?" he whispered,

"Yeah, of course, why wouldn't I be?" I let out dryly.

"I would go lay down, I'm tired."

I turned to walk away from him, but he gripped my arm, stopping me, looking deadly serious now, "tell me what's bothering you, Eva."

"I'm fine.." I struggled from his hold, but he doesn't fudge.

"Tell what's bothering you, I -"

"I know, you're a criminal-" I blurted out and he completely froze. The spark in eyes changing quickly with an odd expression, perhaps it was guilt-

He finally let's go off me and I walk far away from him.

I didn't mean to be so rude to him, I just wanted to be left alone.

"Who told you that?" He whispered finally.

I scoffed, "Does it matter?"

"Eva, let me explain." He sounded defeated.

"What's there to explain, I trusted you and this whole time you were lying to my face-" He stepped forward and I moved backwards, "Please stay away-" I warned.

Carlos puts his hands up in surrender and began taking slow steps towards him as he spoke,

"I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to be afraid of me."

"You're a criminal, you kill people for a living, What's not to be afraid of-"

"Just bad men-" He whispered taking another hesitant step towards me, "I would never hurt a hair in your body-" He pleads.

I stood there and stared at him tearfully,

"Cacciola." He whispered softly, taking a few more steps towards me and I wanted to move away to maintain the distance between us, but I just stood there.

He takes another step towards me, eliminating the distance I created between us, "I would never hurt you."

"But you hurt and kill innocent people."