59

"Class, today we would be debating an article by Davis Moore. .." My college professor said and I shuffled through my messy bag trying to find a pen.

I finally found it and settled down to listen to the discussion, I'm studying creative journalism.

It had been two entire years,

Two years since Carlos brought me home. Which meant, it had been an entire two years, to the day, since I had seen him.

I tried everything to get in touch with him, with no avail, it was like he vanished from the surface of the earth. If Nate hadn't met him, I would have concluded I imagined him.

So I had started writing articles, articles about the Mafia world, part of me wasn't invested in the writing for the joy of it, I was hoping to get his attention.

I was waiting for someone to take me to him again. But after about a year I grew restless.

I started getting angry.

I began writing against them, against the Mafia's.

I was furious.

How could he just disappear?

Oh, He's alive I can feel it.

"Are you okay?" Someone dragged me out of my thoughts, I looked to see my friend, Chika, raising an eyebrow at me.

Over the years I had a new start, I went to rehab, got myself treated. I still get counseling every Tuesday.

I also made new acquaintances, I got a new family,

Also, Nate started high school and stopped using.

Our lives were like a dream come true, everything we hoped and dreamed of was happening, but yet I felt incomplete.

All of this was possible because of Carlos Knight and he was gone, missing.

"Congratulations, I heard your article finally got published."

"It was nothing." I bluffed.

"Oh quit being so modest! This is awesome and you know it, to have your article published for millions of people to read."

"It's pretty cool, I guess." I admitted.

I hope the right person reads it.

"We need to go out and celebrate. I met this guy, Brian last week, he's perfect for you!" She gushed.

I groaned.

"You know I don't like setups."

"You don't like anything. You're hoping that mysterious man of yours is going to sweep in and steal you away but honey, your knight in shining armor must've been eaten by a dragon or something because that man is not coming. You've got to accept, he got dumped."

"Or maybe he's lost, or his horse got too tired and he's walking and it's just taking him a little bit longer to get here now."

"Well, now it's going to be a lot easier to find you, unless he has dyslexia or something." She said and laughed 

"Whatever. I wouldn't care if he reads it or not, I wrote that article to attract an audience and educate people on how dangerous the Mafia's really are..." I was in serious denial.

"You're going to tell me if he came in here right now you wouldn't jump on him."

"I wouldn't care." I stood up and started walking away. She hurried after me.

"Anyway. We are going out tonight to celebrate. It's been a while since we got sloppy drunk."

"We're broke." I reminded her.

"So, we can get hot guys to buy us drinks while they hit on us, then I would hold your hair back while you puke and you can carry my pumps for me while we stumble home.?"

"That sounds exhausting, I rather stay home. I just want to lay home and rest." I let out an annoyed sigh, though it sounded like a nice idea. I did need to blow some steam.

"Pretty please....." Chika gave me the puppy look.

I sighed in defeat,

"Oh okay, fine..... But no setups. If I get there and I think you've swindled me into a date I'm turning around and leaving."