Final chapter

Eva

It's been six months since it happened, I was still yet to come to terms with it. Everyone else seemed to have moved on around me, while I was yet to gather my thoughts,

Carlos shared his final tasks with everyone, mine was somewhere in the Caribbean, I just had to go out and find it. I was hoping it would give me the closure I needed.

"You ready?" Someone injected,

I turned around to see Luis.

"Yeah." I quickly finished packing my things. He came in and helped me with the bags, "Thanks."

I took one last glance around the room Carlos and I shared before walking out, "What do you think is out there?"

"I'm about to find out." We walked outside, where Miles was waiting beside the car, "Well.." I turned and pulled Luis into a hug, he hugged me back.

"Take care of yourself, Eva. And I wish you all the happiness in the world." He whispered in my ear. I broke away, and then one more teary smile towards him, I hurried and got in the car with Miles.

The drive to the airport was slow and quiet, we both didn't know what to say, or how to comfort each other in a moment like this, I guess we were both still in denial, "I bet you're happy?"

"Do I look happy?"

I snickered,

"You've wanted me gone for so long, and now you're getting your wish, regardless of the circumstance you should be celebrating."

"You're talking a whole lot for a woman in mourning."

"At least one of us is thinking of him." I let out, "Do you even remember him?"

"And, what's that supposed to mean?"

"You heard me," I said.

He doesn't retort my statement,

"I always thought you loved him." I muttered under my breath, "I guess I was wrong."

"Not that it matters anymore, but I was never in love with Carlos, not in the crooked way you Americans think."

"I'm not gonna argue with that, you haven't even shared a tear since it happened."

"You know, you can say the word, dead. People die all the time, it's not that big of a deal. ..." I drew my eyes to him, I couldn't believe the words out of his mouth, this was the same Miles who couldn't live a day without him, and now he was just fine with what happened,

"How can you say that about him?" I raised my voice at him.

"I'm just being real honest with you."

"You know what, just stop talking. I don't want to hear anything else you have to say. Let's just go back to hating each other from now on." I averted away from him, counting trees seemed more pleasing.

Silence.

"Can I say something?"

"Shut up, Miles." for one who is not much of a talker, he sure has a lot to say today,

"Eva, I don't hate you, not specifically, I just hate what you represent. I hate Americans..." I returned my eyes and waited for him to continue, that came out nowhere, "My mother was a very foolish American, my father was another drunk bastard, he used to hit her all the time, and she just let him do it, then one day, she lost her mind and took her own life right in front of me, I was only eight at the time. My father being the bastard he was blamed me, and then one night he pulled out a loaded gun and shot me, afterward he went on to shoot himself, I survived, but he didn't..."