Chapter 34

Eva

"Walk with me?"

I looked up from my plate to see Carlos staring at me, with a strange expression on his face, I usually could try and guess what he was thinking, but not at the moment.

I nodded and stood up from my chair to follow him outside, but to be honest I was just glad to know he was okay and that the pills Antonio was making me feed him weren't working.

"How's your day?" He asked me as we walked towards the door.

"Good," I answered him, truthfully. Though tired with Antonio and his requests, just last week he made me steal some files from Carlos safe, not to add the spying and the constant threats, I was falling apart.

The longer I betray Carlos and keep these secrets from him, the more he would hate me when he finds out who I really am.

Carlos and I stopped at the back door and he turned and looked down at me, the corner of his lips twitching into a faint smile,

"I got you something," he said and I stared at him puzzled as he slid his hand into his pocket and pulled out a black box and opening it, he revealed a necklace.

I grinned, a little surprised.

"for me."

He nodded his head,

"Yes."

I beamed excited, "Let me." He offered and I nodded, spurning around to allow him to wear it on me, "You look beautiful." He whispered, once he was done and I smiled faintly, feeling it on my neck.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome." He touched my shoulder and spurned me to him, "Just be sure to have at all times."

"I'm never taking it off." I chuckled and he stared at me, not saying a word, "Are you okay?" I asked and he nodded slightly,

"I'm taking you out for dinner."

He told me, but it sounded more like an order, than a request.

"You mean like a date." I chuckled and he nodded.

"Yes and what better time than tomorrow night?" He paused for a moment, "I want us to take the time to get to know each other better on a more deeper level."

I nodded, though quite uneasy, "before then, I need to get out of town with my men for a few days." he said.

"Where are you going?"

"It's business related." He assured me with a small smile, "But I would drop by for a second to take you for that dinner."

I nodded

He leaned and kissed my forehead, "Be ready." he whispered, then without lifting a glance at me, he walked away, leaving me standing there alone, and confused. What's wrong with him? I thought still standing there.

_

The time fluttered and by the next day I was standing in front of the large mirror, admiring myself on the fitting silver dress, Carlos had sent over this morning.

It felt nice to feel this way for a second, but in reality, I didn't deserve it, I didn't deserve all this attention or love, I was a cruel person and I didn't deserve Carlos.

Three gentle knocks came on the door suddenly and I wiped my tears and pulled myself together, "Give me a second." I responded in a hushed tone, assuming it was Carlos knocking.

However, it wasn't Carlos, but the literal devil.

Antonio

I rolled my eyes and snorted, "What do you want?" I have gotten to that point, where his presence doesn't affect or frighten me anymore.

"Just came to check on you."

"Please leave." I spat, keeping my eyes in the mirror so I don't have to look at him directly, but of course he didn't get the memo, instead, he closed the door and carefully walked behind me,

"You look beautiful." He whispered as he slowly moved my hair from my back to my right shoulder, making me flinch a little,

I didn't bother to answer, All I felt for him was disgust and hatred, "I have good news." He spoke and I ignored him, picking up the necklace Carlos gave me and wearing it on my neck,

"Would you like to hear it?" He said softly and when I don't answer, he continues anyway, "The boss has decided since you've been such a good girl lately, you would be allowed a few hours with your brother." He uttered and I spurned around quickly to look at him, to see smirking.

"Are you messing with me?" I ask optimistically, but it didn't last, "What's in it for him?" I spat, there's no way this huge favor was without a price.

"Nothing.." he answered, but I wasn't buying it,

"I don't believe you." I shot back, "What does he want?"

"Okay, there's one thing." He said and I scoffed, shaking my head, "You just have to feed him the last pill to complete the dosage."

"H-he wants me to poison him on our Date." I stuttered, almost on the verge of crying.

He nodded and I shook my head, "I can't-" I crossed, "I have had enough of all you-"

"Do you not want to see your brother?" he asked and I averted my tearful eyes away from him,  "Plus, I heard he's in really bad shape with what happened the last time," he uttered and my eyes shot to him.

"What happened to Nathan?"

A small wily smile appeared at the corner of his lips and he reached out and caressed my cheeks, "you know what do?"