Chapter 20

Eva

The bartender whose name I haven't gotten escorted me into a building and led me through a hallway and down a flight of stairs, before stopping in front two iron doors. He knocked and then waited for a second before pulling the handle and pushing the doors open.

He then moved to the side and gestured me inside, before walking away and shutting the iron doors behind.

I stepped further inside and my eyes immediately locked with Gabriel casually leaned back against his desk as if waiting for me,

"I had no doubts in my mind that you'd show up."

"Wheres my brother?" I growled.

He gestured me to sit, before turning around behind his desk and doing the same, but I didn't bat an eye, I just stood there, "I must say, you are a lot smarter than I thought you were-"

I didn't even care to probe on what he meant by that, "Just hand me my brother-"

He waved his hand and a guard nodded and walked away, "Won't you at least have a seat, while we wait." he offered and I sighed slightly before pulling out a chair and settling myself in front of him, "You'd be amazed at how much I have taken care of him-"

I heard the sound of the door swinging open and I turned around with a smile, but when I did the smile on my face instantly fell.

There my sixteen-year-old brother was, dressed in a black overall with a massive gun hanging over his shoulder, I turned my eyes back to Grabriel,

"What have you done to him?" I yelled.

Gabriel raised his hands in defense, "This was all his decision -"

I turned my eyes back to Nate questionably, "What's going on Nate? Why are you dressed like a criminal- You know what-"

I reached over and grabbed his hand, "I am getting you out of here this minute." I grabbed him with me out of the door and surprisingly no one stopped me, but once we reached a secluded place Nate jolted away.

"What the hell do you think you are doing?" I hissed.

"I like it here, they treat me right-"

"These people are criminals-"

"Well so am I now, because I joined the Mafia-" he uttered and my heart fell.

"You what?" I stuttered.

"I am one of them now, so you don't have to worry about me anymore, I am fine-" he said and looked to the side as if avoiding eye contact.

"You take that back right now-"

My little brother, who's barely sixteen, Joined a den of criminals, this is all my fault. I should have never ran away, I should have stayed and fought for him- Tears brimmed in my eyes and Nate sighed, "It's not your fault Eva, not everything is your fault, at least not this time...this is just what I have decided-"

"Let's get out of here, out of this city. We can start all over again, you have your whole life to look forward to, we can get out of this cruel city, you can graduate and go to college, get a job. A real Job this time."

"I have a job."

"This is not a Job, this is suicide." I yelled.

"Even if I wanted to leave I can't leave I took an omertà, I mean it's the fucking mafia, secondly I don't want to leave, I like it here, I get respect and all the chikas I want on my bed every night, it's a dream life, it's not like I had anything going on for me before."

"You're sixteen!" I yelled not believing the words coming out of his mouth.

"I am a man now, besides I know what I am doing, you don't have to worry-"

I pushed him against the wall before he finish that sentence, "Boy! I will smack the shit out of you if you-"

Arms suddenly wrapped around me, pulling me away, "See you around-" Nate said and ran off down the hall, I jolted my arms away from the grip and stormed down to Gabriel's office, "You need to let my brother go right now."

"He's a man Eva, I can't make decisions for him."

"He's a boy and he has no business joining the mafia and turning out like you-"

He laughed at me, "Kate that is simply not going to happen not when you haven't completed your own side of the deal-"

"I don't want any part of it."

He laughed once, "You're already part of it, but you just don't know it yet." he stalked over to me and removed a strand of hair from my face, "As long as you keep doing what you're doing, your brother would be out of the Battlefield." he smirked.

I swallowed hard, I need to fix this, I can't let Nate stay in this den for even a second longer, "What do you want me to do?" The words flew out of my lips.

"Nothing...for now, Just go back home and I will have someone contact you when it's time-"

"And my brother?"

"He's safe, I give you my word."

---