64

I settled myself on the chair next to Carlos for I don't know how long, keeping my gaze on the rhythmic rising of his chest and wanting nothing more than to rest my head on his chest for the warmth of it,

I've almost forgotten how it felt to hear his heartbeat or the feeling of his warmth against my skin.

I hated that I couldn't touch him, or feel that he's still there, that he's alive and I'm not hallucinating.

"Carlos, it's me...Eva, and I don't know if you can hear me but, I'm here, and I'm sorry, I'm so sorry I wasn't here, I'm sorry I spent all those times hating you instead of being here."

I jumped slightly when I heard the door open.

I quickly wiped my tears and turned to look at the intruder.

"Eva, this is Dr. Shaw." Luis said as he walked in with a man.

The doctor walks over to where I was, staring at me expectantly,

"You're in the way."

"Oh, sorry.." I got up and hurried out, plastering myself against the wall so as to stay completely out of his way.

The doctor raised the glass, beginning his regular check while Luis stood on the other side of the bed.

He offered me a small smile as he caught my eye, although it didn't reach his eyes. He looked dull and worried.

He crossed his arms across his chest as he looked back over to Carlos and the doctor that was very gently probing at the area around his chest.

"Eva?"A deep smooth voice called. Allowing my hand to fall to my side, I turned around to face the person who had called my name and froze.

Miles stood inside the doorway fuming,

"Come with me."

I took a quick glance at Luis but he sighs and looks away.

I snorted and followed Miles out to the hallway.

"I've arranged for a car to take you to the airport, it's waiting outside as you speak, I've also arranged some money to compensate for the troubles but, your work here is done and you to need leave,"

I almost laughed at his audacity,

"I'm not going anywhere. "

"I'm not asking."

"I'm not asking either. . I'm not going to leave when he's like this. "

"Eva. Just get in the car."

"If you think I would just walk away seeing the condition he's in, think again... "

"I'll hate to drag you out of here.."

"No, I'm not going anywhere until Carlos wakes up and asks me to leave himself, till then you would just have to deal with it.."

"Joe?" He calls out one of the guards, "Escort ms. Green to the car." He says and turns to leave.

"Yes, sir."

The guard grabs me without warning,

"Get your hands off me. Miles...You have no right, no right at all." I screamed and fought as he yanked me off the floor, "Let me go." The guard carried me all the way to the gate when--

" The guard carried me all the way to the gate when--