57

Eva

I woke up a few hours later and turned my eyes to see Carlos was surprisingly still laying next to me, all night I worried he would just vanish before I opened my eyes.

He seemed terrible at Goodbyes.

I watched him for a few moments, blissful moments.

He looked calm and peaceful.

If I didn't know he was in the league of criminals I might have thought him innocent.

I chuckled and got out of bed, I tiptoed my way into the bathroom without waking him.

Then I stripped out of my clothes and crawled into the bathtub, Like I did when I was anxious and afraid. I couldn't tell which I was at the moment, both I guess. I was uncertain of what was ahead of us. It was a mixture of fear and exhilaration.

This war could be the end of the original Knights and it terrified me....

I must have stayed in for a while because when I re-entered the room Carlos was standing beside the window with a cup of what assumed was coffee in his hand.

"You're still here?" I spat angrily.

He turned to notice me,

"Why is that?" I guess I was somehow upset, he hasn't returned my feelings, that's added to the fact that he was just going to leave after dropping me home, "I thought you would have left." I continued to express my frustration, "You seemed quite in a hurry last night."

He went to pour me a cup before reaching to me,

"I have sometime to spare, I secured an evening flight.." Not the response I was hoping for,

"And, then you're just going to leave..."

"Don't start, Eva..."

"Don't start! I told you I loved you last night, and you said Goodbye, just goodbye---" I was aware I was being selfish telling a man about feelings when he had one foot in the battlefront, but I needed something to hope onto while he's gone or else I would be miserable.

"I want to live in the moment." Again he tries to avoid the elephant in the room, "I want to take you somewhere, mention whatever you like and I would arrange it."

"I don't want anything other than for you to be safe.." I hit him slightly, but he ignored it. It felt like we were both saying different things, "I-I..."

His stare unwavering from mine in all of its intensity, he spoke. "You deserve to live a normal life, and I want to give that to you."

I laughed mockingly,

"Do you even know what that is?" Soon the previous qualm was averted.

"What?"

"Living normal?" I ask him again..

"I'm presume you are about to tell me." he said amused.

"I bet your definition of normal is going for wars, defeating enemies, dining in five-star hotels, testing expensive wines, and so forth---"

He laughed shortly,

"Fair enough...What is Eva's definition of normal?"

I suddenly had an idea, an idea that could hold him for another idea.

"When was the last time you were Carlos, and I don't mean the all powerful great Carlos Knight." I rolled my eyes dramatically as I spoke, "Simply Carlos...." He raised an eyebrow at me, not able to understand where I was heading, I didn't expect to either, "Let me rephrase then, when was the last time you rode the bus."

"Where are you going with this?"

"I want to live in the moment." I used his words, "You and I are going to have some fun today, this is America, you've shown me your side of the world, now I'll show you mine."